Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got Caught Downloading! How? Zonealarm?

Poster
    Originally posted by Bishtawiman@14 July 2004 - 15:05
    But if you have a firewall, they shouldnt be able to get to the internet without the user letting it. right?
    Correct, IF you have a GOOD firewall that has security settings SET HIGH ENOUGH, it shouldn't be able to connect to the internet... unless it's Microsoft Media Player's phone-home 'feature' masquarading as regular Internet Explorer traffic... which you probably have allowed in your Firewall's settings.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    I see what you mean. I have set Windows Media Play to have access to the internet a looong time ago, but now i guess i should change it..

But i dont use Windows Media Player anymore. I usally stick to Video Lan, Winamp, Jet Audio,..ect..
    blah blah blah... whatever...

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by Bishtawiman@15 July 2004 - 20:58
    But i dont use Windows Media Player anymore. I usally stick to Video Lan, Winamp, Jet Audio,..ect..
    Even if you use a different media player, the underlying Win OS may well recognize you're playing a media file and make a call to Media Player to open a website and/or check DRM.

Don't trust Microsoft to protect your security... your safer with 3rd party security software and freeware stuff that hackers make.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Poster
    get a firewall that's what i did

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    i already have two firewalls running from like along time ago.

Then you got ur n00bs that have no clue about PC security, suxs...

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Poster
    Originally posted by Bishtawiman@17 July 2004 - 20:30
    i already have two firewalls running from like along time ago.

Is 1 a hardware firewall and another a software firewall?

If not, why have 2?

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Originally posted by Switeck@13 July 2004 - 15:52
    Your ISP may monitor traffic AMOUNTS, but they cannot legally monitor traffic specifics without violating wiretap/privacy laws... unfortunately the PATRIOT ACT following Sept 11,2001 weakened the privacy laws on that.

The ones monitoring for copyright violations (AKA:'copyright cops&#39 AREN'T ISPs!

They're businesses dedicated to that purpose what are being paid megabucks by various companies (Microsoft, McAfee, Norton, Adobe, RIAA, MPAA) wishing for strict enforcement of their copyrights. They have dedicated servers and ip ranges for this purpose and also SOME connections that are either using regular 'home user' broadband connections on dynamic ip addresses and/or proxies to hide their real ip addresses.

An IP blocker (Protowall) would block most but not all of their activities.

Comcast is just a bigger TARGET for these groups because it holds a huge number of broadband users... or as MPAA and RIAA like to call them digital thieves who should all be in jail.

Being on a smaller ISP may offer a tiny amount of extra protection, IF their legal departments handle copyright violation cases better... but have virtually NO effect on making your ip address harder to find!
    This is correct, I thought this topic was dead awhile ago, but I came back looking for a reply to another post I made (which hasnt been replied to ) and I saw this.
    I never posted but I did find that AT&T received a letter which they forwarded to me from the MPAA which gave them my ip this and that and told them to take action, so what you are saying is totally right, its not the isp's,
    But what kind of action could be taken against somebody for downloading and sharing legally? Fines? jail??? Anyone know the laws on this??

And how is the MPAA getting this info?? I could understand if I was using BT but how can they through kazaa???

And why hasnt any hacker group or what not done something against these people?????????

P.S. Im using firewall, and protowall (with BlockList Manager now) but Im not downloading any movies, however since I got that email, I havent and wont pay or go to any movies or buy any dvd anymore from any of the companies under the mpaa. I suggest everyone do the same and BOYCOTT These PRICKS

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Originally posted by Switeck+18 July 2004 - 11:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 18 July 2004 - 11:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bishtawiman@17 July 2004 - 20:30
    i already have two firewalls running from like along time ago.&nbsp;

Is 1 a hardware firewall and another a software firewall?

If not, why have 2? [/b][/quote]
    yeah, one is a hardware and the other is a software.

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Great tip. Everything I try to dowload comes up saying I need more sources. Can U help?

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    That happens. Just keep the download running, jump supernodes, search for the file while ur downloading that file.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast