Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Got Caught Downloading! How? Zonealarm?

bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by jetje@15 June 2004 - 12:14
    just mail them back you were dl a big file, cause a friend told you your ISP would spy on you, and that you said you thought they wouldn't do that. To test it out you were dl his trashcan that was renamed to 50 first dates. So ask them why they spy on your internet activities

They can't prove anything without having your harddisk. So don't be worried.
    damn good idea , ill remember that if i ever get caught !

you know it's funny i only use klite++ for like 3-4 yrs now and not once have my internet connection or my ip ever threaten my dl's and i have a really big collection

i wonder does sharing have anything to do with this??

cuz it seems like all the ones who get caught are the ppl who share big ammount of movies,music w/e

so that 's why i only keep like maybe 5 movies and rarely dl a song
    guess that the real safe way ?

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by Bishtawiman@18 July 2004 - 22:33
    That happens. Just keep the download running, jump supernodes, search for the file while ur downloading that file.
    yup that works majority of the time!

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Yeah movie companys target the people whoa re uploading the movie becuase it is them who is spreading it. thats why its safer not to share or to t least hide your shared folder and maybe only uplod music in Kazaa Lite.

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    Originally posted by Switeck+14 July 2004 - 15:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 14 July 2004 - 15:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mstanfa@13 July 2004 - 12:02
    The film industry is now seeding or baiting the file sharing networks with tagged files that report back when played.
    You can also copy the movie to another format (like mpg to avi or which ever) and that should remove the tags from the file.
    Tagging = &#39;phone home&#39; capabilities.

From my experience, the ONLY video media types with phone-home capabilities are Microsoft&#39;s ASF and WMV formats. Although a file may be one of these types its filename may be intentionally misnamed as .AVI or .MPG, so only downloading those types offers ZERO protection. I&#39;ve seen this alot with Dragon Ball Z episodes.

However opening these files in raw byte format (probably using a HEX editor) will show the file headers in it which are dead giveaways for the filetype and structure. .MPG files look like random garbage or lots of long, repeating patterns. .AVI files at their beginning and end are very organized -- some of which is readable.

.ASF and .WMV files look almost identical to each other, with both randomness but words mixed in the first section, and will probably have the site/s they phone home to in the first 10 KB -- often in the first 2 KB of the file&#33; You could type over the web address/es these files try to contact and &#39;defeat&#39; their &#39;phone home&#39; capabilities easily.

However, Microsoft&#39;s newest media types, Windows Media Player v9 codecs, has DRM (Digital Rights Management) features AND &#39;phone home&#39; capabilities -- but I think this only applies to their WMV3 and WMV9 video codecs which work in .AVI and .WMV file formats. [/b][/quote]
    So, hypothetically it would be possible to find out where the "phone home" messages are gong to, and hypothetically use that information to instgate a DoS attack on the "home", or even hack into it?

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Poster
    Originally posted by Alex H@21 July 2004 - 00:25
    So, hypothetically it would be possible to find out where the "phone home" messages are gong to, and hypothetically use that information to instgate a DoS attack on the "home", or even hack into it?
    I&#39;ve done the first part before -- locating the "home" that gets phoned. I&#39;ve even chopped the parts that are used to phone home out (often just by changing the web addresses used from http://www. .com to xxxx://xxx. .xxx) AND blocking that web address in my hosts file, then that file NEVER phones home again&#33;

DoS attacks aren&#39;t effective ussually against a site that hosts streaming video to 100+ people at once.

Hacking into the site can mean you&#39;re hacked into their Linux or Win 2k sever portal box...and it&#39;ll require some .rooting around before you find where they go from there. All the while the sysadmin on that computer may be monitoring you&#33;

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345