Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Caught Downloading! How? Zonealarm?

I got caught last week downloading 50 first dates from kazaa. I got an email from at&t that they would cancel my account or who knows what and that I had to delete the file and inform them, and couldnt breach copyright notices again, and Im pretty sure the email said they were told about this by someone, that had all the big movie names under it, paramount, time warner, tristar guys like that.

Normally I wouldnt care if they disconected my account Id probably do it myself and tell them to go@#$@ themselvesm but my whole ouse is hooked up to it and I cant get caught again.
    Before my only security was my router, now I just installed zone alarm and I have some questions.
    Does anyone know exactly how they found out that I downloaded 50 first dates from kazaa??? Did they get into my computer?? where they sharing the file???
    AlsoI had to use port forwarding since im on a nat, and I put zonealarm on my computer, but does this stop anyone from getting in?? Should it be on all the computers, even though someone set one computer up and called it a server, even if its down the internet works so I dont think its a server.
    And also they reported the ip of my entire network not my comp (IP of my router, not the IP's my router distributes to the different PC's using it) so Im not sure which computer I should put zonealarm on can anyone tell me???
    I was also thinking of using protowall or something else like that, and not downloading any movies for a month or so.
    What else can I do thats worth while???
    Are they cracking down allot harder now, or was it just bad luck for me????

Thanks
    Jack

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Double Agent
    bad luck for you

btw, your getting caught has nothing to do with zonealarm and routers and nat and shit

it's your ip address

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Right next to the weapons of mass destructions
    Where are you from?

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'> &quot;Its all fun and games till someone looses an eye......THEN its a sport&#33;&#33;&quot;
    - danyj</span></span></span>

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    AT&T can scan their network for consistently heavy use (it&#39;s basic practice for a Telecom business).

If you show up as a very heavy user from a private address they will be interested and they can then trace who you are connected to and the rest is simple.

Forget computer security&#33; If your download goes through the PSTN at any stage then you can be traced, the nature of the traffic discerned and the end user (uploader) found.

If AT&T are your ISP then they can deal with you directly, if you use another ISP who sells on AT&T lines then they wil go to the ISP not you.

What we are doing is illegal if the download is not in the public domain so they have every right to attempt to stop us if they so wish.

My guess is AT&T have links with the distributors you mention and are acting on their behalf.

My advice - emigrate to Canada, Holland or the UK where the thought police have better things to do&#33;
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by oldjagman@15 June 2004 - 12:24
    AT&T can scan their network for consistently heavy use (it&#39;s basic practice for a Telecom business).

If you show up as a very heavy user from a private address they will be interested and they can then trace who you are connected to and the rest is simple.

Forget computer security&#33; If your download goes through the PSTN at any stage then you can be traced, the nature of the traffic discerned and the end user (uploader) found.

If AT&T are your ISP then they can deal with you directly, if you use another ISP who sells on AT&T lines then they wil go to the ISP not you.

What we are doing is illegal if the download is not in the public domain so they have every right to attempt to stop us if they so wish.

My guess is AT&T have links with the distributors you mention and are acting on their behalf.

My advice - emigrate to Canada, Holland or the UK where the thought police have better things to do&#33;
    By heavy use do you mean that Im downloading to fast 150k/s or that I download too much in a certain time period say 5 gigs a month??

What is a PSTN???

Thanks

P.S. AT&T is my ISP.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    jetje's Avatar former star
    just mail them back you were dl a big file, cause a friend told you your ISP would spy on you, and that you said you thought they wouldn&#39;t do that. To test it out you were dl his trashcan that was renamed to 50 first dates. So ask them why they spy on your internet activities

They can&#39;t prove anything without having your harddisk. So don&#39;t be worried.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Short for Public Switched Telephone Network, which refers to the international telephone system based on copper wires carrying analog voice data. This is in contrast to newer telephone networks base on digital technologies, such as ISDN and FDDI.
    Telephone service carried by the PSTN is often called plain old telephone service (POTS).

Heavy use means that you are downloading/uploading too much in a certain amount of time. Although the faster your speed is, the more likely you are to go over the limits and be considered as a heavy user.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    PSTN was always used as the generic for any telephony network open to the public where calls are directed by the customer - or did I waste 30+ years working for a Telco. ISDN is a digital service purchased by individual customers for their own use needing special equipment like modems and routers and FDDI is normally restricted to LANs.

It&#39;s the local loop that is key here. Any telephony that uses a home to local exchange route (nearly always copper, Sparkle - even the cable people use some co-ax in the route) is open to intercept at the LE or beyond. And remember

Size is relative - 5 gigs a day from and too Microsoft is peanuts but my 10 gigs a month is big bang from my leafy suburb - too many like me in a residential area and we are talking serious congestion in the local loop - and that means the road comes up if the duct won&#39;t take any more cable (co-ax, fibre optic whatever).

This is why they are interested in overall traffic levels; snooping on your usage is just something that can be done if they have a mind to.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    If he were using an anonymous proxy server such as anonx, wouldn&#39;t that help since the data is encrypted and the IP is that of the proxy?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    i recieved a similar message from mediacom high speed internet(mchsi)
    its my service provider.
    the first time it was in Email form that told me to delete the file in 24 hrs or THEY will . and talked more about sharing files on a peer to peer network than downloading files.
    i wrote about this in general filesharing talk under the topic "busted"
    well, just recently they got me again for the movie walking tall.
    they had my port # the file name , user name etc.
    this time they shut me down and sent the message to me in writing.
    I had to sign it to show that i had recieved it and send it back and they turned me back on in 48 hrs.
    they said next time i will be cut off permanant and could face criminal charges.
    blah blah blah

they told me i could get the name of the person or group that informed on me if i filled out some consent form .
    basically -they said if i give them complete access to my harddrive and let them give my name and address to local authorities-they would give me info on who turned me in.
    their argument is that if im not guilty of anything then i shouldnt worry about filling out the form.
    any way Im still downloading
    just not sharing
    I know , I know, I should share. but I dont want to get cut off again.
    what would you do??

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast