Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klocker's Kraaazy Koncept!

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Right then.
    Here we go.

Do you consider yourself a clever consumer?
    When you want to buy a component do you spend the time to Google search for every review you can find?
    Do you belong to more than one tech forum and soak up all the info you can?
    Do you obsessively ask questions/seek opinions before a major ( or even minor, for that matter) purchase?

Well, me too.

How many times have you done all this... done the research, asked the questions, made your decision, bought the item and still felt completely ripped off by the reality of the item?

For me, the answer is "Quite often".

I have boxes of stuff that was touted as the latest and greatest only to turn out to be mediocre or riddled with odd qualities never mentioned in the reviews.
    From fans to heatsinks, HDD coolers to cases, much of the merchandise sold for computers has simply failed to meet my expectations. And trust me, after I have shelled out my hard-earned cash for something I want it to be good. I bend over backwards to like what I've just bought.

A friend of mine on another forum recently suffered just such an experience.
    After months of searching for a new case he finally bent to popular advice and purchased a Lian-li.
    If you are not familiar with Lian-li, they are generally considered to be the Cadillac of cases....a pioneer in aluminum construction with removable motherboard trays and all the best bells and whistles.
    The eagerly anticipated delivery day finally arrived and now, one week later, he literally cannot stand the case and is actively trying to sell it.
    All the advertised features were there...that's not the problem.
    What no one mentioned was how flimsy it is, how thin the sheetmetal is, how cheesy it feels.
    For the big bucks ( Lian-li's ain't cheap) he paid he feels completely underwhelmed.
    I know the feeling.

My personal PC fetish is cooling.
    From fans to heatsinks I've explored as deeply as I could.
    Air to water, I am eager to experience it all.

This has lead me to try several different HS solutions, most recently the Thermaltake SilentTower.
    This unit would seem to have it all....a huge finned area to dissipate heat fed by heatpipes from a copper base. The stock 92mm fan can be augmented by a second fan should you desire.
    Reviews were mixed, I admit this up front.
    I decided to try it anyway.

If you've read this far, this is not going to be a review of the HS...that will come later...just bear with me a bit longer.

I was incredibly disappointed.
    For many reasons.
    I removed the heatsink and went back to my beloved Zalman 7000cu.

After thinking about it for a while I was going to write a scathing review and post it here.
    Then I thought a bit more and decided to try something else.
    Something better, I hope.

Perhaps, I thought, the fault lay with me and my particular setup.
    Frankly, I doubt it, but it's certainly possible.

So...
    I have contacted another member of our World, and he has agreed to install and test the heatsink on his PC.
    He will then post his own review of the SilentTower.
    I shall be sending the sink to him on Thursday ( probably) and in the fullness of time he will reveal his identity ( or not, that's up to him) and his results.
    This should provide a fair and balanced evaluation of this particular item...something that is sadly lacking in tech forums, I think.

I'm excited about this experiment, to my knowlege this has never been done here before and it should be interesting to see what comes of it.

I'll be working on my assessment of the SilentTower over the next few days, Part Two ( the mystery reviewer) will follow as time and circumstance permits.

That's about it.
    As you were.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    @clocker Thats why I read and enjoy this forum ,and your post's so much. Because you don't have a fighting chance in Hell unless your well informed. Google does'nt cut it sometimes ,you want some hands on reviews from some you trust .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Twist3r
    Clocker, I too enjoy reading your detailed reviews/posts, I don't post much in Hardware World but I am allways reading and I'm amazed at the details you
    write in your journals, reviews or just regular posts.

Keep up the good work!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Klockers Krazy Koncept, KKK, I have to say thats a little offending... j/k good job.

I think my common problem is I'll read a 100 reviews and there will be 2 truthfully written one but they always seem to be written in all captials and poor grammer, and I just don't trust that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    That happens to me a lot also.

Probably happens becuase the people reviewing this stuff are the fan-boys of that company, and want to make the product look good. So they only state the positives.

The non-fan-boys have no comment at all, or maybe email the reviewer telling them to include the negtives but they never include them...

Stuff liek that is what makes reviews so crappy, rather have hands on experience.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    well trouble is that for the review sites that get the stuff shipped to them to review (in contrast to the ppl that have to buy it themselves), often get handpicked copies sent to them, ensuring its of good quality. Or like Rossco said, people getting pressured to write good reviews (if you dont write a good review, you aint getting this stuff)...... that especially works if there are alot of reviewers, like on the internet......

i think its a good idea......... keep us up2date
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    :confused: Anyone else read overclockersclub's hyper6 review?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.overclockersclub.com/rev...per6_review.php

Was it just me or did that guy blame a poor OC on the heatsink?

Quote:
    Figuring that I had messed up the thermal compound when attempting to attach the heat sink

How do you "mess up" thermal compound when you install a heatsink?

Quote:
    Due to the awkward and difficult mounting method of the Hyper6, it is virtually impossible to mount the Hyper6 without rubbing the thermal compound around, which of course is going to hinder the cooling process.

Guess he never read AS's instructions:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm
    Namely:
    Quote:
    Once the heatsink is properly mounted and the attachment clips are secure, grasp the heatsink and very gently wiggle it slightly clockwise and counterclockwise one time each. (Just one or two degrees or so.) 

Sorry if it was just me but that came off as a very poor review.
    You can read the original thread and responses HERE.

I found this very interesting, not so much for the info about the heatsink, more for the response that the review generated.
    I felt a great deal of kinship with the reviewer- his experience almost perfectly mirrored mine with the SilentTower- and did not feel he was being unfair or unknowlegable in his actions.
    Yet these guys find him to be biased and nOObish.

Humorously, these same people would not hesitate to trash the HS in question themselves, but they have a negative response to someone who beat them to it.

We are so conditioned to reading milkquetoast reviews that one which rises above into relevance is treated as heresy.

Just an observation.
    I'm still working on my review and the HS is all boxed up and ready to be shipped out tomorrow.
    Neither I or my mystery review partner are interested in a quick and dirty process here, so it may be a while before this come to fruition, but it will happen and hopefully be worth the wait...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@17 June 2004 - 22:09
    :confused: Anyone else read overclockersclub's hyper6 review?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.overclockersclub.com/rev...per6_review.php

Was it just me or did that guy blame a poor OC on the heatsink?

Quote:
    Figuring that I had messed up the thermal compound when attempting to attach the heat sink

How do you "mess up" thermal compound when you install a heatsink?

Quote:
    Due to the awkward and difficult mounting method of the Hyper6, it is virtually impossible to mount the Hyper6 without rubbing the thermal compound around, which of course is going to hinder the cooling process.

Guess he never read AS's instructions:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm
    Namely:
    Quote:
    Once the heatsink is properly mounted and the attachment clips are secure, grasp the heatsink and very gently wiggle it slightly clockwise and counterclockwise one time each. (Just one or two degrees or so.) 

Sorry if it was just me but that came off as a very poor review.
    You can read the original thread and responses HERE.

I found this very interesting, not so much for the info about the heatsink, more for the response that the review generated.
    I felt a great deal of kinship with the reviewer- his experience almost perfectly mirrored mine with the SilentTower- and did not feel he was being unfair or unknowlegable in his actions.
    Yet these guys find him to be biased and nOObish.

Humorously, these same people would not hesitate to trash the HS in question themselves, but they have a negative response to someone who beat them to it.

We are so conditioned to reading milkquetoast reviews that one which rises above into relevance is treated as heresy.

Just an observation.
    I'm still working on my review and the HS is all boxed up and ready to be shipped out tomorrow.
    Neither I or my mystery review partner are interested in a quick and dirty process here, so it may be a while before this come to fruition, but it will happen and hopefully be worth the wait...
    can't wait, BUT just one thing...

you promised us a pic of your crazy kool haetsync retntion system which you made, and i want my picture! lol.

Im sure that you either said June 15, or friday...so could it have not waited to eb packaged up till AFTER the pictures?

u and your suspenseful thinking

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    but he doesn't get his camera til the 22nd! :helpsmile:

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Wow, this will be a first time for something like this!
    I agree though, our Hardwareworld forum does not have enough, if any, reviews and comments from our purchases
    or there is also little to no talk on modding your PC's which some of you MUST be doing! so post it god dammit ...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast