Thread: Restart After Shut Down!

Poster
    my friend just built a computer . but after its done...everything was good until he attempted to shut it down. After choosing "Shut down" from winxp, his comp shuts down like it suppose to do, but the problem was it started right back up...as if it was restarting. He/i checked all the headers and they were in their right position. we even installed win2000 just to make sure it wasnt xp's problem. Now we came down to its either the mobo or the Case...which would be likely the cause of this problem? im thinking its the motherboard fault, but we cant test it out cuz he has a amd system while i have an intel. all you geniuses...help me out

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Reversed the power and reset button's?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    tried reverse power button and reset button...even tried taking reset button out, didnt work

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    oh, he has a PCCHIPS M811LU...another problem is that the onboard LAN would not work...the disk it came with had like 50 drivers for each one and didnt know what to use.

i was thinking of going with a pcchips for another cheap system but now that i seen his....heh

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Check the APC settings in BIOS as well. I have seen APC conflict with ACPI. If you are using ACPI, you should make sure APC is disabled in BIOS. Try windows button and power button on keyboard to be sure, at the same time .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Turn off automatic restart after System Failure. Control panel/System/Advanced/Startup & Recovery Settings, uncheck Automatically restart.

Your friend is almost certinaly getting a BSOD, but the auto restart facility is masking this, and of course restarting the pc. Disabling the auto-restart will allow him/her to see the offending driver.

I've seen this effect where the system had a PCI graphics card in a pc with an AGP slot. The system tried to shut down the AGP slot which had never been initialised. Your friend probably has a similar driver problem, although it may not be the AGP slot.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    thanks for all the help, im pretty sure he has everything place where its suppose to be since i help him build the computer. i'll check for the winxp restart thing when i get over there.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    For teh lan, just go to pchips website and download the driver from there.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    ok, his Lan is working and he is sharing my internet but his audio isnt working...i tried every driver on the disc included but didnt work, went to their website, download it, didnt work. anybody got a working driver for the m811LU?