Hi,
    Windows XP Home
    K-Lite++ 2.4.3

I use:
    BSPlayer 1.00 RC1
    VideoLan 0.7.2
    MediaPlayerClassis v6.4.8.2
    KL Codec Pack 226s installed

I cannot seem to be able to play any .AVI files in any of the players.
    In most cases my preferred viewer lately is MediaPlayerClassis v6.4.8.2 and in attempting to play an .AVI file I receive the following warning....
    (This is the Icon associated with these .AVI files):

When I click on the "Look for codecs on the net" button (see image above) I get a referral to Ligos eStore to purchase an Indeo XP codec pack for Windows @ $14.95.

Dragging the file to GSpot fails to render the file:

As noted above I have the KL Codec Pack 226s installed.

What else would I need to do other than purchasing the Indeo Codec Pack?
    Even at that, would this be the final solution anyway?
    Is there another alternative?

Thanks for any help,
    mrlessk

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Hello!

If Video Lan cannot open that avi it is most likely corrupt. The fact that the icon is generic is another indicator of that. Just throw it away!.

Most likely the file is a result of someone using the Indeo codec to convert from avi to mpeg or something else but never completed the second pass.

Edit: I just saw that you mentionen that you cannot play any AVI file on your computer? Is that correct?

If so it is really strange that VLC cannot play it since it does not need any codec since it comes with its own ones. Weird problem you got there!. Since the problem is with all players I would guess its a problem with Windows. Has it always been like this?. It could be that you are having a screwed up registry.

Try to play it in Crystal Player which you can download here:

http://www.crystalplayer.com

and see if it will work. make sure during installation that avi's as file format is set to to be handled by CP!.

As a last resort try to see if Real One player can play your avi's!

If it does not work then try to perform System Restore to the point which it use dto work if it used to work!.

But before that maybe you could try the following:

Trying a reinstall on one or more of these things may help:

-. Video card driver
    -. Decoder (FFDShow or DivX/XviD/whatever else you need)
    -. DirectX
    -. Player preference (which player defaults to handling .avi extension)

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The standard version of the K-Lite Codec Pack you use does not contain the Indeo codecs needed to play the file. The Indeo codecs are included in both the full and mega version, so in order to play the file you need to install one of them.
    Member No.: 82,000

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Originally posted by Download@16 June 2004 - 09:26
    The standard version of the K-Lite Codec Pack you use does not contain the Indeo codecs needed to play the file. The Indeo codecs are included in both the full and mega version, so in order to play the file you need to install one of them.
    Hello!

It seems that he got worse problem than playing a single Indeo codec file. He wrote that he cannot play any avi not even with VLC that can play almost anything without extra codecs and that is really bothersome.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Thanks very much for your replies Joakim Agren and Download, sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.

Originally posted by Joakim Agren+15 June 2004 - 10:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joakim Agren &#064; 15 June 2004 - 10:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If Video Lan cannot open that avi it is most likely corrupt. The fact that the icon is generic is another indicator of that. Just throw it away&#33;[/b]

Indeed, it seems as though I had downloaded a few corrupted .avi files after all. By coincidence I tried to play these consecutively and then assumed I had Player or codec problems. Dragging each of them to GSpot confirmed they could not be rendered.

I went back to some previously downloaded .avi&#39;s and they played ok. So, my bad for jumping to the wrong conclusion without further investigation.

<!--QuoteBegin-Download

The Indeo codecs are included in both the full and mega version, so in order to play the file you need to install one of them.[/quote]
    I do believe in the "if it ain&#39;t broke, don&#39;t fix it" methodology but, do you think installing the full or mega version might give me an advantage in assuring there are no future download/rendering problems associated with the lack of needed codecs?

I suppose the reduced version of the question is, given a choice, should one choose the full or mega over the standard? I&#39;m tempted to upgrade.

Thanks again, :beerchug:
    mrlessk

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Install the mega version if you want to be able to play QuickTime and Real files too, otherwise install the full version.
    Member No.: 82,000