Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Good Or Bad?

On my Bit Torrent it say Share rating 0.609 :-I What does that mean? Please fill me in.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    It means you have shared only 61 percent of what you have leeched, lleave it running until you are at least at 1.0 or more.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    So what's the whole point of this? Does it matter if its in red or green?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by Cool_Guy@16 June 2004 - 18:42
    So what's the whole point of this? Does it matter if its in red or green?
    The point is exactly this: to show you how much you have uploaded, since you're supposed to upload at least once what you have downloaded.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    oh ok thanks for the info. B)

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    Things to note when you've finished downloading a torrent is how many seeds are also sharing the file AND how many complete copies of the file can be found among the peers. If the number of complete files is less than 1 and there's no other seeds, then if you EXIT that torrent you KILL anyone else's ability to finish downloading that file. Even if that number is above 1 but less than 2, the probability of the download finishing for others is quite likely rather low.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    for some reason my share rating is always 3.4+ , I upload alot faster than I d/l, most of the time, even though I have upload set to 40 k/s. I guess that's good for everyone else. I usually stay away from bitorrent for such reasons. Sometimes it's normal though, like an even or IMHO "good" ratio.
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Titus808@20 June 2004 - 01:44
    for some reason my share rating is always 3.4+  , I upload alot faster than I d/l, most of the time, even though I have upload set to 40 k/s.  I guess that's good for everyone else.    I usually stay away from bitorrent for such reasons.  Sometimes it's normal though, like an even or IMHO "good" ratio.
    Are you firewalled in BitTorrent? If so, that's NO surprise your download is typically no more and often a lot less than your upload. While firewalled, you can only download from the few users that aren't firewalled -- and they have to upload to EVERYONE. The firewalled users only upload to nonfirewalled users, so the nonfirewalled users can get speeds 2, 4, or even over 10 TIMES faster than the firewalled users!

If you're firewalled in BitTorrent, your computer is probably firewalled in lots of things... usually it doesn't matter except for 2-way communications/file transfers. So if you solve that problem it may help more than just BitTorrent.

Also, try reducing your upload rate to ~20-30 KB/sec while downloading and see if your download speed picks up. If so, you were overloading your connection -- thus you were causing the failure instead of it being something 'broken in the program' or a remote problem.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Originally posted by Switeck+22 June 2004 - 18:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 22 June 2004 - 18:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Titus808@20 June 2004 - 01:44
    for some reason my share rating is always 3.4+ , I upload alot faster than I d/l, most of the time, even though I have upload set to 40 k/s. I guess that&#39;s good for everyone else. I usually stay away from bitorrent for such reasons. Sometimes it&#39;s normal though, like an even or IMHO "good" ratio.
    Are you firewalled in BitTorrent? If so, that&#39;s NO surprise your download is typically no more and often a lot less than your upload. While firewalled, you can only download from the few users that aren&#39;t firewalled -- and they have to upload to EVERYONE. The firewalled users only upload to nonfirewalled users, so the nonfirewalled users can get speeds 2, 4, or even over 10 TIMES faster than the firewalled users&#33;

If you&#39;re firewalled in BitTorrent, your computer is probably firewalled in lots of things... usually it doesn&#39;t matter except for 2-way communications/file transfers. So if you solve that problem it may help more than just BitTorrent.

Also, try reducing your upload rate to ~20-30 KB/sec while downloading and see if your download speed picks up. If so, you were overloading your connection -- thus you were causing the failure instead of it being something &#39;broken in the program&#39; or a remote problem. [/b][/quote]
    yes, I am firewalled...and thanks for that, I did&#39;nt know that was a problem, (using mIRC I have to take it down, otherwise it blocks out some ports which makes it impossible to d/l more than one thing at a time) I&#39;ll just take it down when I need faster speeds . Thanks for the info, if you&#39;re ever in HI I&#39;ll buy you a beer .
    &quot;If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it&#39;s a victory&#33;&quot; -old Irish wisdom

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    You can get around your firewall by opening ports for Bt...I open 6881-6890 in ZoneAlarm,then tell Bt to use those ports

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast