Thread: Blue Screen Of Death

Poster
    XP regularly gives me the blue screen of death, meaning that I have to restart and loose whatever I was doing at that time.

The error message is as below

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000000

0xFD7AFFBE,0x00000000,0xBF873D4B,0x00000000

** win32k.sys - Address BF873D4B base at BF80000, Datestamp 3F73195D

This is beginning to be a really annoying problem, so does anybody know how I could resolve this to the problem or avoid seeing it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    well first of all you need to do a full antivirus scan and adware/spyware scan

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    I had the same problem when I first got my computer, It had PC-cillin anti-virus installed and at start up I would get a blue screen error. I uninstalled it and it stopped. When did the problem start, do you remeber installing something recently that maybe causing the problem?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    probably related to drivers, temps or ram.

first try updating chipset, sound and video drivers.

next if it still happens check what your temps are in bios or with a program like speedfan or motherboardmonitor 5.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    this is going to sound daft but whenever i get blue screens i know my heatsink needs vacuuming. yes! vacuuming, so all i do is pull of the fan on the heatsink, use the vac and suck all the dusk out.
    after this everything work fine.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by chinook_apache@17 June 2004 - 11:27
    this is going to sound daft but whenever i get blue screens i know my heatsink needs vacuuming. yes! vacuuming, so all i do is pull of the fan on the heatsink, use the vac and suck all the dusk out.
    after this everything work fine.
    Thats because the dust is imparing the cooling effectivness of the heatsink causing the processor to overheat causing system locks/crashes, so when you hoover it out the temps drop down to normal levels.

Worth a go if you've tried all else.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    exactly my amd athlon 2000+ has serious probs so the only way to combact this without sepnding money on a new heatsink is to vac it now and then