Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Down The Pc

Poster
    I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ (retail, came with a the AMD heatsink), and i've had it for about 7 months now. It was really in May when this started happening.......I would get temps are 55 and whenever I ran a game it'd go up to 62 - 63. I got some Arctic Silver 5 and followed the directions clearly and the temp went down to 45 for like 2 days. Then it went up to 52, and it's been like that ever since. Arctic Silver only took off 3 degrees off of what it was before Is it normal for my chip to be running this hot? Is it my fan/heatsink? plz help!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I went into BIOS to check the temp and it said 45. But when I boot and start Speed Fan it reads 53 already. Could it be that my temperature is being calculated wrong?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    52's pretty high.....did you apply a very thin layer of artic silver to the core? Not too thick?

Also, try reseating the heatsink. 2800's usually run in the 40's or so on a stock cooler so somethings up.

I'm on Soulseek if you need any more help.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    does your case have any exhaust fans? it should....(like, a back case fan, not being the power supply one). A low down front intake fan would also be good for the temps, but worry about a back exhast one first.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Could you not try taking off the side panels of your case , then check your your temps. It is hot out now depending where you live. Mabye that would help narrow it down. I'm not an expert but mabye a fan has failed?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Blitz,
    What sensor is SpeedFan reading from?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    The fans are all fine. I have 2 in the front, 2 in the back, plus the heatsink/fan and powersupply one. I have an ANTEC case if you need an idea of what it looks like. I've tried taking the side panels off but it doesn't do anything to the temperature.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@18 June 2004 - 22:56
    Blitz,
    What sensor is SpeedFan reading from?
    I'm not real good with Speed Fan, so I wouldn't know

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I tell you its a lot to due with your ambeance ? temps. It's hot here I went from Idle temps mb 37* cpu* 49 , to 45* mb cpu 55* CEL . In the space of a week. I have just stock cooling tho no ,chassie fans. Just HKS and fan.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    It's easy Blitz.
    Just open the program, click on the "temperature" tab and you'll see what readings are coming from where.
    Click to highlight the ones available, and down at the bottom of the box is a checkbox to "display this temp in the tray".
    One of them will be checked...that's the one you are using.

There will probably be several options, some of which are nonsensical, -47c and the like.
    Those are just sensors that SpeedFan thinks should be there and aren't, so it makes up values for them.
    At the minimum, you should have valid reads for motherboard, socket and HDD ( if enabled).
    In a perfect world you will also gain access to the on-chip diode ( WinBond w 83627HF or some such) and that would be the sensor to pay attention to.

What motherboard are we dealing with here?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast