Thread: Adsl Modem

Hi there,
    I currently have a speed-touch stingray USB modem which came with my brodbound package about 2 yrs ago.Im going to change my network hub for a Linksys Ethfast cable/dsl router with 8 port swtich (part no: BEFSR81) And ive been told i need an ethernet modem.CAn anyone recommend a good adsl modem?
    Kind Regards,
    Matt Seymour

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I have DSL and a linksys router.. im pleased with my Prestige 600 series and it says ZyXEL i think thats just the kind of modem

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Will it be possible just to buy that linksys router and use my current modem?
    Thanks
    Matt

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Nope.

I don't believe anyone makes a router which will work with a USB modem.

If you don't need 8 ports, this is a good combined modem/router.

As an alternative, you could go for this single port router and get a separate switch.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    To use an ADSL USB modem in parallel to a router, you must enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), in which case your computer would be on for the routing to function accordingly.

And I definitely wouldn't buy an eBuyer router.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Amarjit@22 June 2004 - 16:36
    And I definitely wouldn't buy an eBuyer router.
    Any particular reason why?

I've got one, it works perfectly.

I know someone who's got the wireless version, that works perfectly too.

As for enabling ICS and connecting a router through it, that would be a very inefficient way of setting up a network, it would be far more sensible to set up some proxy server software on the pc. But either way would necessitate a "Master" pc to be on at all times, not usually an acceptable solution.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.