Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Not Right

My computer (Dell 4500S model and Microsoft XP system) has been "sluggish" for awhile now. Even though I have Road Runner (broadband) it doesn't move NEARLY as quickly or smoothly as it should. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on anything I could try? I've heard maybe the reformatting of my hard-drive could help (as if I have ANY idea of how to do that). What do you think?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Try these steps:
    1.defragment your harddrive
    2.run a virus scan
    3.run a antispyware application like adaware,spysweeper,xoftspy,spybot ect.

if that doesnt help then a reformat might be in the working for you.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Robnyt , I 'v found this site usefull for beginners . Use the menu on the left to see tips and tricks.

http://www.tweakxp.com/

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Defrag, set your pc to have NO page file, reboot, defrag again, then set your page file min and max size to be 1.5 times your physical memory.

You will now have an unfragmented page file (or as near as dammit) which is how it starts when you first install XP. That's why reformatting & reinstalling seems to produce performance improvements. And by setting min and max to the same size it doesn't change either.

Strange how you seem to get the same problem brought up by two people at the same time, even if they don't realise it. brought up by two people at the same time, even if they don't realise it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    There's an echo in here.

here

here
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=113513

Handy guide on all of this stuff.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    look at my guide (link ins sig) follow the defrag, msconfig, services.msc, spyware, and antivirus sections.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@20 June 2004 - 00:34
    look at my guide (link ins sig) follow the defrag, msconfig, services.msc, spyware, and antivirus sections.
    Look above.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by RGX+19 June 2004 - 19:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 19 June 2004 - 19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@20 June 2004 - 00:34
    Look above. [/b][/quote]
    lol. Didn&#39;t notice that, anyway i told him what parts to focus on. although all of it would be helping out different areas of stuff...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I&#39;ll try some/all of these and see what happens. So weird. Great example of what&#39;s "bothering" my computer. Have one of those aquarium screensavers. The fish smoothly swim around the screen and then suddenly start move jerky, freezing for a couple of seconds, then start up again. REALLY don&#39;t think it&#39;s what I&#39;m feeding them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast