Thread: I Have 2 56k Modems

Poster
    I have a Rockwell/Conexant HCF PCI Data/Fax Modem (56k) & a Lucent/Agere PCI Speakerphone Data/Fax Modem (56k)

Can I combine these two modem and get a faster connection ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    lol no i doubt it..

but however u can try to make them have sex and reproduce and make a Speedstream 5200 DSL modem

jus remember "Nothing Is Impossible"

/me hides before the dial-up modems xplode

My Blog
    I'm still here.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Hmmm. Not sure about this one.

I heard, a long time ago, that there were modems that would combine 2 lines together to provide faster tranfers. If I remember properly, it was called double barrel. I have no idea how they were set up but I guess that if you search google there has to be plenty of information about that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I've read somewhere that you can have two modems, two ISP accounts, and two phone lines, then you dialup to both accounts with your computer, and you need some program or something that will combine them...im not sure how this would work though, i think they said one will be only upload and one only download to take the load off of each one, but i'd say it is just a waste of time....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I think you can. Look up PPP Multilink

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    It used to be possible to get a double-barrel connection but it requires specific software, two phone lines and a supportive ISP.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    sounds like a waste of time to me.

wouldnt just be easier to get DSL

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@20 June 2004 - 16:16
    It used to be possible to get a double-barrel connection but it requires specific software, two phone lines and a supportive ISP.
    No you don`t need specific software (on winXP anyways).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...07849&sd=tech#3

This article describes how to configure multiple-device dialing in Windows XP.

With Windows XP, you can use multiple modems to connect to your Internet service provider (ISP) to increase the total speed of your transfers. Multiple-device dialing (also known as Multilink PPP, modem aggregation, or Multilink) causes multiple physical links to be combined into one logical link. Typically, two or more ISDN lines or modem links are bundled together for greater bandwidth. You might use this feature if you do not have access to DSL or cable services.

Multilink is enabled automatically in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional.