Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expert Problem

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    ok, ive had this problem some time now, and last time i thought it was solved due to the help of some ppl here...... it really wasnt, but our internet connection got cut off before i found that out

now we have internet again, and here's the problem:

there's 3 of us in this house, 2 desktops, 1 laptop

1 router
    1 ethernet modem
    enough patch/crossover cables

yet no internet

for some reason, the modem WILL dial up, and if connected to a comp directly, that comp has internet

now the weird part......... if i connect to the internet with a comp, then switch my modem 2 the router, and my comp to the router, I have internet, but the rest doesnt........ if i repeat this trick for everyone, we all have internet........ when we reboot, we dont anymore........

WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG????

everything is connected correctly, router and ethernetmodem have the right dialup settings, firewall in router is turned of...............

any help is really appreciated

(and no, not rebooting isnt an option mr wiseguy)

EDIT: the network via the router works fine, no problem with that @ all, its just the network doesnt work with the internet
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    My first guess would be that you mistaked your router for a hub which allows internet access to only the first computer, which would be why just the one has access to the internet.
    Are you sure it's a router you've got and not a hub or switch??
    What's the model number of the router, if that's what you've got?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    well it says router on the box........

check this

and i didnt even plug my comp into the first port............

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Have you accessed the logon screen in your router?

Once the router is logged on then whatever PC you connect to it will automatically be online. There is no need to setup a logon in each PC.

From what I can tell from the online users manual (not english) you need to type: http://192.168.2.1 in your browser to gain access. Page 7 here: http://www.sweexeurope.com/media/prodDownl...ex-brrouter.pdf

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    well if i go online directly through the modem, then switch via the router, then go to the router's page, it gives me a DNS error and goes to that dumb msn search thing.........

btw, i cant connect to the internet if my modem is connected to the WAN port, i have to connect it to one of the computer ports.... (weirdest **** huh?)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I don't think you understood my last post.

You need to connect through the WAN connection and establish a connection of your router to the internet. Once you do that then all PCs that you connect to your router will automatically have internet access.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    oh, yes, i did misunderstand you........ sry

but that doesnt work either.......... when i set my router to continuous, the internet connection just doesnt work

when i set it to manual, and try to dial up, it says "failed to connect" :'(

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    What do you mean you 'switch the modem to the router'?

I'm not sure I understand your setup.
    Forgetting all the other computers for now...
    Do you mean that your ADSL modem works fine and you can access the internet when you connect your comp to that, but you don't have access if you connect your comp to the router and the router to the ADSL modem?
    Then do you mean that if you setup your network with the router not connected to the modem but have your computer connected to the modem, you all have internet acceess?

However you have it at the moment, I'd set it up like this...

ADSL modem
    |
    Router
    / | \
    PC1 PC2 PC3

Turn off erverything.
    Turn on the router.
    Turn on the ADSL modem.
    Turn on your computer, access the router config (often it's 192.168.8.1 in any browser) and find it's MAC address.
    Access the ADSL modem (my cablemodem is 192.168.100.1) and check that it has recognised the MAC address of the router.
    Reboot the router, either by a restart button in it's config pages or turning off-on.
    You might need to set your default gateway to the router's LAN IP.
    You may have a problem if your ISP doesn't let you use MAC addresses that you haven't registered with them, so you may need to either
    - contact them and add your router's MAD address with them, or
    - change the router's WAN MAC address to one that is registered with your ISP.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Sorry I am having difficulty reading the non english manual. I'll try to find one in engilsh or perhaps you can find one?

I'm thinking that your router isn't setup right. Go into the router configuration and look for DHCP and enable that.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    DHCP is enabled

and i cant find a manual in anything other than dutch.........

even if i go through www.sweex.com and dont change the language.......

i do have a hardcopy manual here beside me.......... if there anything you want me to lookup...........

and i have a manual that came on a CDrom, but thats 7 MB.......... ill go looking for an FTP host, see if i can post it........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast