Thread: Setting Up A New Computer?

Today I just bought a M6809 and will be spinning the thing up for the first time tonight.

The last pc i purchased i truthfully and honestly answered all the set up questions, which i think was a mistake.

When i am file sharing to certain drives my name comes right up on the file directory. That doesn't seem like a good idea.

What is the deal with putting in bullSh!t info when you are loading window?

How much info do you have to give?
    Should I just fill in "Computer Owner" for my name?

thanks for any info

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You can write whatever you like for your name, it makes no difference whatsoever
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Ya, doesn't really matter what you put, why you making a big deal about it? You boguht the computer, legite, windows wants to know your name. Worst that happens is microsoft finds out you actually paid for their product.

I put my name into illegal copies of windows, what do i care?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Very nice laptop, nice buy.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    my concern is if it is easier for RMA (or who ever is suing file sharers) to track people down if they have their legit info saved into their bios or system reg.

So if I do put fake crap, it doesn't come back to haunt me when i try to upgrade to windows longhorn or something.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks tormentor.

1400 US dollars at bestbuy (after rebates) this week. If someone can show me a better gaming notebook cheaper, please do and I will return it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by healimonster@23 June 2004 - 13:10
    my concern is if it is easier for RMA (or who ever is suing file sharers) to track people down if they have their legit info saved into their bios or system reg.

So if I do put fake crap, it doesn't come back to haunt me when i try to upgrade to windows longhorn or something.
    RIAA.

HMM, makes sense, don't think it will make too much difference because if they wanted to sue you, they just find your IP adress and ask your isp for your name...simple as that.

How many John Smith's do you think are out there? they wont find u by just your name anyway...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Exactly, and about updating, updates have nothing to do with your name or anything like that. If anything they would check your product key, not your name though.
    and it is RIAA, RMA is what you do when something you buy is broken
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    How about never putting your real name or anything that can identify you at all into your PC or online, ever.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    How is this hardware related, anyway?