Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Doesnt Shareaza Connect To Overnet?

why did the developers choose to just connect to edonkey and emule and leave out overnet?
    (OSWINDOWS XP
    (PROCESSORAMD ATHLON XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNOW, ~1.7GHz
    (MEMORY 224 MB RAM
    (DIRECT X 9.0b
    (DISPLAY S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    (SOUND): VIA AC'97 AUDIO (WAVE)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    muchspl2
    its open source, feel free to code it yourself
    maybe they gave up on it because the individual clients consistently proved slower than shareaza

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Overnet is the one you have to pay for - so if the developers are making money off it, they won't want to give the source code away. edonkey2000 is free and open source, so Mike built Shareaza with ed2k features.

Shareaza has a policy of only including open networks.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by Alex H@19 July 2004 - 02:47
    Overnet is the one you have to pay for - so if the developers are making money off it, they won't want to give the source code away. edonkey2000 is free and open source, so Mike built Shareaza with ed2k features.

you really have no idea what your talking about..

theres a basic, ad supported version of overnet just like there is for edonkey..the only ones you have to pay for are the pro versions.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    muchspl2
    yea but arn't those versions hacked off the pro, like kazza lite is to kmd ?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by muchspl2@19 July 2004 - 02:57
    yea but arn't those versions hacked off the pro, like kazza lite is to kmd ?
    No..Scroll down a little bit' and you'll see the basic version.

~Digital Nirvana

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Digital Nirvana+19 July 2004 - 02:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Digital Nirvana @ 19 July 2004 - 02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alex H@19 July 2004 - 02:47
    Overnet is the one you have to pay for - so if the developers are making money off it, they won&#39;t want to give the source code away. edonkey2000 is free and open source, so Mike built Shareaza with ed2k features.

you really have no idea what your talking about..

theres a basic, ad supported version of overnet just like there is for edonkey..the only ones you have to pay for are the pro versions. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry - Overnet Basic is ad-supported and as such, I do not recognize it. I also do not recognize p2p software I have to pay for.

I can&#39;t find the Overnet source code on their website, so its not like it&#39;s exactly OPEN source.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by Alex H@21 July 2004 - 03:14
    Sorry - Overnet Basic is ad-supported and as such, I do not recognize it.
    So is E-donkey2000

I also do not recognize p2p software I have to pay for.
    ....emm, good for you?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Overnet&#39;s official client might be free (the ad-supported one), but it&#39;s still not an open-source network, so I guess it would be difficult for Shareaza&#39;s devs (or previously, just Mike) to be able to connect to it, so they just don&#39;t want to waste the time.

In fact, on the Shareaza forum there are several stickies explaining why Shareaza won&#39;t add support to any more networks (that exist now, at present circumstances).

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    The new Edonky is a hybrid of ed2k and overnet, so in theory Shareaza client are now able to connec to it. How well it will work remains to be seen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast