Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought I'd Killed My Pc

lynx's Avatar .
    Last week I downloaded the latest "stable" bios for my mobo (v1010 for those interested). There was a beta available(v1011), but I don't really fancy trying beta versions of bios.

For several reasons, not least some large dl's taking place, I put off installing the bios until this evening. Promised were some improvements in memory performance, so I decided to update. The installation appeared to be ok, so I rebooted, set the bios settings and proceeded to launch XP.

At this point disaster struck. BSOD, stop 0x0000007B. Fortunately I was able to find out the cause of this stop using my other pc - BOOT DEVICE UNAVAILABLE. This stop has always struck me as strange, how on earth can it get to the point of loading drivers and then find it can't access the boot device. Microsofts suggested solutions included reinstalling Xp (update mode), but none of them really seemed to hit the mark.

I decided to go back to the mobo site (Asus) and dl the previous bios version. When I got there I found that version 1010 has no longer available, version 1011 was now the latest and the reasons for its release were - solves boot problems.

I dl'd this version and the previous one (v1008), and had to go through the Dos update feature to install the bios. I used v1011 and it seems to be ok. Sandra does indeed show slight bandwidth improvements, and bootup is certainly faster.

Anyway, my word of caution is this - make sure you have a way of reloading the previous bios before you update, or at least another way of downloading them. Without another pc I would have been well and truly up the creek.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Close call my friend! your lucky...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well, yes if you have no friends, then you'd be screwed without another computer or another bios version.

lol im jk.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Excellent advice, Lynx.

I've only flashed BIOS a few times and always felt nervous doing it.
    So far, no problems, but as you demonstrate, disaster is only a mouse click away.
    I now have backups of ALL my BIOS options.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by clocker@24 June 2004 - 13:51
    Excellent advice, Lynx.

I've only flashed BIOS a few times and always felt nervous doing it.
    So far, no problems, but as you demonstrate, disaster is only a mouse click away.
    how do u make a backup of ur bios ?

My Blog
    I'm still here.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5+24 June 2004 - 08:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 @ 24 June 2004 - 08:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 June 2004 - 13:51
    Excellent advice, Lynx.

I&#39;ve only flashed BIOS a few times and always felt nervous doing it.
    how do u make a backup of ur bios ? [/b][/quote]
    I think he means backups of the different BIOS versions...so if one stops working, he can flash to another one.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+24 June 2004 - 14:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 24 June 2004 - 14:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@24 June 2004 - 08:45
    <!--QuoteBegin-clocker
    @24 June 2004 - 13:51
    Excellent advice, Lynx.

how do u make a backup of ur bios ?
    I think he means backups of the different BIOS versions...so if one stops working, he can flash to another one. [/b][/quote]
    oh ok

My Blog
    I'm still here.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5+24 June 2004 - 09:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 @ 24 June 2004 - 09:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 June 2004 - 13:51
    Excellent advice, Lynx.

how do u make a backup of ur bios ? [/b][/quote]
    You can save a copy of your current bios onto a file, I use Flashmenu for this from ABIT, because it&#39;s compatible with my motherboard.
    Then later you can say update from file, and load on the file with your old bios and your back in business
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Good job man .
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    angel_of_death57
    Yeah i use MSI mobo board with Phoenix Award BIOS and it shows warnings all over the download section telling you how to run back on the update if it fails. I find it very useful that MSI do this on their site really good support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast