Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fahrenheit 911

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by clocker@5 July 2004 - 23:02
    Another question is why won’t he appear on or be interviewed by someone who has an opposed viewpoint of this movie and defend its credibility?
    Why should he?

What has MM to gain by subjecting himself to the likes of a "fair and balanced"
    blowhard like Bill O'Reilly, or the smarmy smugness of Rush Limbaugh?

Tho I'd bet he would agree to such a scenario given the opportunity to get an in-person whack at Dick Cheney or even Bushette himself.
    I saw a few minutes of FOX tonight (today over there)

It said "Coming up next" Kerry - More Waffling! "We give a fair and balanced view"

A classic "have you stopped beating your wife - yes or no?" question, I chuckled and then changed channel.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You can afford to chuckle, given your geographical remove.

Most folks over here don't yet realize that FoxNews is just a very subversive sit-com...kind of like The Daily Show without Jon Stewart.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Originally posted by clocker@6 July 2004 - 02:04

Most folks over here don't yet realize that FoxNews is just a very subversive sit-com...kind of like The Daily Show without Jon Stewart.
    yeah. i liked the beggining then it kind of drifted off
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@5 July 2004 - 18:28
    I just watched this.

The most sickening part for me was the last 1/6 or so of the film.....

The American Companies deciding how they&#39;re gonna divie up the country between them, on camera..... happy as hell that it was a no lose profit maker coz hey, things go wrong and we still make a profit from the Government (Taxpayer)

Still cant stand the man.

However, the "Contradictions" reported...werent.

He freely admits to being against going into Afganistan, as an example....but when we were in, the USA had sent less troops than there are police in Manhattin, to pacify a country.

If your gonna do it, do it properly, appears to be the message...not send in just enough troops so that most of the Taliban and Al Queda escape.

Half of the film was wasted.... some was shocking, and some was downright boring.

Not something to get if you fancy enjoying a flick, but something to make you question not just the Government, but the media and Corporations too... which is probably why a lot f the media is against it

So it’s hypocritical of me to judge this movie even though I haven’t seen it. But its not hypocritical of Moore to be against the Afghanistan war and then complain that things aren’t going the way he likes? You are right there aren’t any contradictions in this at all.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@6 July 2004 - 10:40

So it’s hypocritical of me to judge this movie even though I haven’t seen it. But its not hypocritical of Moore to be against the Afghanistan war and then complain that things aren’t going the way he likes? You are right there aren’t any contradictions in this at all.
    Yes.

No.

Yes.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    There is no contradiction Hank...

Dont go into Afganistan.... This happens.

Its a done thing, cant turn time back...so what is his new position:

Make sure that there are enough troops so that the job gets done.

As far as I can see, he has merely moved in tune with events.... He could not stop the Troops going in. So, now that they are in...why so few?

If you have to do something, do it properly.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by clocker@6 July 2004 - 02:04

Most folks over here don&#39;t yet realize that FoxNews is just a very subversive sit-com...kind of like The Daily Show without Jon Stewart.

Yes. it would be fair to say we have nothing like it.

Thankfully
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    A report from the front.

Today I saw the film.
    It was not nearly as incendiary or provocative as hearsay would have lead me to believe.
    All in all I would say that it is no doubt agenda driven, but very effective nonetheless.

Of much more interest to me was the audience and their reaction.
    I saw a 1:00PM showing and the theatre was at least 2/3 full.
    I would place the median age of the crowd at maybe 60, give or take 5 years.
    At film&#39;s end there was a standing ovation and some cheering.
    Many of the women ( and, I would suspect, some of the men) had tears in their eyes ( the Michigan mother&#39;s scene at the White House comes right at the end) and appeared visibly shaken.

We walked out of the theater and down the hallway ( we were in a mega-plex) to find that outside a full-blown tropical storm was lashing the Denver area ( score another for the "SuperDuperDoubleDoppler Radar Weathermen," as not one of them called for rain today, much less a downpour of Biblical proportions with a healthy dose of hail thrown in...), so many of us chose to wait it out rather than brave the elements.
    I heard not one negative comment about the film, indeed the general feeling was that to vote for Bush again would be an act of sheer lunacy.
    There was a passion about the knots of conversation that I found striking.
    An attendant said that cheering and applause was pretty much normal at the film&#39;s end.

Keep in mind...not only has Colorado been a staunchly Republican state for quite a while, but this was in an upper middleclass neighborhood-= precisely the type of place/people one would automatically class as rock-ribbed Republican.

I&#39;ve got news for you, j2 & Hank.
    Despite the polls that show the race as too close to call, right now I wil predict that Bush is not only going to lose, he will lose BIG.
    There will be no need of a recount or an "activist" judiciary...it simply won&#39;t be necessary.

The popcorn was terrible BTW, a sure sign that we as a nation have fallen from grace.
    How can a country which can&#39;t properly apply heat to a vegetable kernel hope to sucessfully engineer a "regime change"?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@9 July 2004 - 19:12
    A report from the front.

Today I saw the film.
    It was not nearly as incendiary or provocative as hearsay would have lead me to believe.
    All in all I would say that it is no doubt agenda driven, but very effective nonetheless.

Of much more interest to me was the audience and their reaction.
    I saw a 1:00PM showing and the theatre was at least 2/3 full.
    I would place the median age of the crowd at maybe 60, give or take 5 years.
    At film&#39;s end there was a standing ovation and some cheering.
    Many of the women ( and, I would suspect, some of the men) had tears in their eyes ( the Michigan mother&#39;s scene at the White House comes right at the end) and appeared visibly shaken.

We walked out of the theater and down the hallway ( we were in a mega-plex) to find that outside a full-blown tropical storm was lashing the Denver area ( score another for the "SuperDuperDoubleDoppler Radar Weathermen," as not one of them called for rain today, much less a downpour of Biblical proportions with a healthy dose of hail thrown in...), so many of us chose to wait it out rather than brave the elements.
    I heard not one negative comment about the film, indeed the general feeling was that to vote for Bush again would be an act of sheer lunacy.
    There was a passion about the knots of conversation that I found striking.
    An attendant said that cheering and applause was pretty much normal at the film&#39;s end.

Keep in mind...not only has Colorado been a staunchly Republican state for quite a while, but this was in an upper middleclass neighborhood-= precisely the type of place/people one would automatically class as rock-ribbed Republican.

I&#39;ve got news for you, j2 & Hank.
    Despite the polls that show the race as too close to call, right now I wil predict that Bush is not only going to lose, he will lose BIG.
    There will be no need of a recount or an "activist" judiciary...it simply won&#39;t be necessary.

The popcorn was terrible BTW, a sure sign that we as a nation have fallen from grace.
    How can a country which can&#39;t properly apply heat to a vegetable kernel hope to sucessfully engineer a "regime change"?
    I think you take license, sir.

You reported from a theatre, wherein were to be found the latest frothings of a certain Mr. Moore.

While Colorado can generally be regarded as Republican, to characterize the state as "staunchly" so is to overlook the fact of it&#39;s elitist and moneyed nature; it&#39;s denizens can frequently be swayed by trends of the type represented by Mr. Moore and his movie.

I have said before-Mr. Moore knows where to hang out in order that he may receive the laudatory paeans he has come to expect, and the reaction(s) you witnessed in the theatre are nothing but the cheers of the choir who sought him out.

Moore couldn&#39;t sit down with any reasonably well-equipped debator and hold a prayer of coming out on top.

BTW-while O&#39;Reilly is popular, I wouldn&#39;t call him a debator, and, in any case, Moore&#39;s saying that he "slashed O&#39;Reilly to ribbons" when he was on the show is typical Moore hyperbole; nothing even remotely resembling a "blood-letting" occurred, and there was certainly no debate going on.

EDIT: Congratulations on re-gaining your star-you deserved it; that, and the lousy popcorn, too.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Originally posted by j2k4@10 July 2004 - 07:37

While Colorado can generally be regarded as Republican, to characterize the state as "staunchly" so is to overlook the fact of it&#39;s elitist and moneyed nature; it&#39;s denizens can frequently be swayed by trends of the type represented by Mr. Moore and his movie.

Your characterization of Colorado as "elite and moneyed" is a bit misleading.
    In fact, Colorado is not that much more moneyed than your fine state, j2 (source)
    Furthermore, in the last two Presidential elections ( didn&#39;t look any further back) the state has voted for the Republican candidate both times, we have a Republican controlled Senate and a Republican Governor.

To me that would be pretty staunch.

Of course, it is easy and convenient to simply dismiss my audience as "elistist and easily swayed" and granted, many were predisposed to agree with MM, but I would bet that a significant percentage of them voted for Bush last time and have come to rue the decision.

Time shall tell...I stand by my prediction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast