Thread: Urgent Help : Cd Drive!

Poster
    Hey

My CD/R Drive will not rip the last few tracks of any of my CDs. About track 20, it really does find it hard, the ending mp3 result is stutter. Also i cannot play these tracks directly from CD (ie in WMP).

In my old PC they work fine and on my CD player they are fine.

Any ideas why my Labtop CD Drive can't?

This really is urgent, cheers.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Almost certainly a problem with the drive itself.

Suggestions:

You've got lint/grit on the laser transport mechanism.
    The laser itself is dirty.
    The spindle motor is not spinning at the correct speed (again, possibly lint).

Generally, I would suggest the drive needs a good clean, although I'm not sure how you go about it with one of those drives.

You say you are getting stutter when ripping, what are you using to rip the tracks? You should be able to force it to retry when getting errors in the digital stream, if you've got good ripping software.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Right, it seems to be just the EMI / Virgin discs!!! Inparticular Now & Smash hits.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I was gonna recomend testing different cds to see if it was a media problem, glad to see you kinda got it sorted...i guess lol. Might wanna find a fix for getting those certain cds to work

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Originally posted by djweiser@25 June 2004 - 19:28
    Right, it seems to be just the EMI / Virgin discs!!! Inparticular Now & Smash hits.
    They might be enhanced cd's. The major record companies make these discs so they start up with flash animations that are really annoying when the cd autoruns. I've never tried to rip any of those cd's before though. That might be the problem.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Try using Audio Ripper with Lame if your not already.