Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beastie Boys Cd Installs Virus

Turkishjade's Avatar Gunny
    First, sorry for the CAPS....I will be using them for emphasis.....

Here's the deal: The Beastie Boys stole a sample from a piece of classical music by James Newton Jr. for their song Pass the Mike. They knew they stole it, their producers didn't think it mattered and made a fortune off the song.

James Newton Jr. has been running into hard times because, as you know, classical music doesn't do to well in terms of sales. Someone alerts him to the fact that the Beastie Boys stole his sample, are making a mint, and they didn't clear the sample with his label. They advise him to sue. He does.

During the trial, the asshat judge said that the sample was too short to be fully recognized, even though they played them side by side and it was exactly the same. THE JUDGE DIDN'T SAY THEY DIDN'T USE THE SAMPLE, JUST THAT IT WAS TOO SHORT TOO SUE FOR. THE JUDGE ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THE SAMPLE WAS STOLEN, and decided that it was too short of a sample to matter!

Newton, who doesn't make tons of money playing classical music and needed the money, loses the lawsuit. The Beastie Boys then proceeded to sue Newton Jr. for several million dollars for "Bringing them to court." He spent most of his savings (I think it was like 100K) and the Beastie Boys (who spent 500K) are suing him for MILLIONS! Now, this guy who doesn't seem to be all that computer savvy, is trying to raise money for his court battle via Newsgroups. It's sad.

I used to like them, but that's just being a dick.

And now they are trying to impose copyright restrictions on their source material? Claiming on their website that ALL EMI artists have this restriction when it's commonly known that it's a decision for the individual artist and their management? There are many artists on EMI (circa 2004) who don't have the protection on their CD's. Does anyone think that all of those artist fell through the cracks at EMI? No...Big Music is on top of everything.

<<Public Service Announcement>> The More You Know.

2. Music   -   #12
    muchspl2
    I didn&#39;t read your post
    but its been said the Paul&#39;s boutique could never be done today, with all the samples it would cost a fortuneon another note
    ** breaking news **
    also included on the cd are 20 shitty songs

3. Music   -   #13
    Naked Nudist
    Well anyway they got theirs because the whole cd was up for grabs on at least 6 major mp3 sites a week before the release date so me countless others got it for free early hahaha. :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

4. Music   -   #14
    Amen brother.... no payee for me.

5. Music   -   #15
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    So the Beastie Boys are in it for the Money.Ohhhh lord lets hate them for that.

Every artist out there is in it for the Money.This is their Job.Making Music.

It is also their Job to try and stop others from takeing their Music.If I was them I would do the same thing.

I mean shit man that is America.Its a Rat Race.

6. Music   -   #16
    Nah Funky Capricorn, I don&#39;t know about anyone else, but I don&#39;t hate them. I just think it&#39;s funny how they have routinely done guerilla sampling in the past and now their management (who backed them up in court) and their stance is anti-p2p. I don&#39;t have a problem with their music (although the only songs I like from them are Paul Revere and Negotiation Limerick File.) It&#39;s the principle.

Everyone should make money...and I don&#39;t blame them for fighting for the 12 cents they make for every 12 dollars people pay for a CD. But leave that poor guy alone. They stole, he caught them, they should pay. If I was stupid enough to go on Kazaa and download it, I would have to pay. Why couldn&#39;t they have chopped the riff up into 4 pieces and rearranged it so they wouldn&#39;t get caught? I mean, be creative.

Someone in one of the newsgroups even suggested making songs using the riff from Fight for your Right to Party since, based on the court decision, it would be perfectly legal. Coming from someone who is in his own band and who likes to hear original music, the idea of this catching on made me ill.

It was bad enough when people were scarfing Led Zeppelin riffs.

7. Music   -   #17
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Do not get me wrong.It does sound like an asshole thing they did to sue the guy back.

I was going to buy their new CD.But you know what.Screw em.They are not getting 12 cent from me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12