Thread: Need Help!

Fire Fox Fan
    Okay here's what happened. This morning I decided to clean up my system. I deleted a few things in the WINDOWS folder accidently, and then also deleted them from the re-cycle bin. Now I have found out that my windows XP, looks shabby, and when I right click on the desktop and click properties I cant edit my desktop pic and etc. Also I have lost other faetures like being able to access some files. And I constantly get a DOS popup thing saying Illegal operation perfomed, click conintue or ignore. Anyone know how to fix my problem? I have tried system restore but that didn't help .

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    why not reinstall windows because it looks pretty serious. if you can remember what files you deleted try copying them from the cd and putting them in the system folder.
    format and install again and then you wont be prone to errors

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i did something like that a while ago, eventually i ended up reformating altogether. Not sure what would work in this case besides that
    -TiMz

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Fire Fox Fan
    thanks for the help, but is their a way I can re-format my computer without erasing some files? Some of the files I hav took a long time to find. And i dont have any empty CD's to put them in. I will try copy and pasting the files from the XP CD to the WINDOWS folder, hopefully thet'll work.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    try running sfc /scannow

start > run, type in: sfc /scannow

More information about replacing windows system files at http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html