Thread: Considering Two New Pc Options.. Need Help

Alright. Basically, what I want to accomplish is this. I have my current (and only) computer in my room. We have a bigscreen tv in the basement. I'd like to put a computer with any crappy video card down there, as long as it has an s-video out. The four main purposes of that computer would be to:

1. Download movies

2. Watch the said movies

3. Play step mania (like DDR only on the computer)

4. Maybe browse the web.

The computer I currently use is an emachines computer with an AMD 1900+ thuroughbread core. 768mb of DDR 2100 ram and crappy onboard video. I don't really game, so that doesn't matter to me. This computer IS sufficient for what I do.

My two options are:

1. Buy a fairly outdated machine (maybe a 1ghz AMD model) and but the generic video card in and have my fun....

2. Start building a whole new computer (most likely the old 2500+ overclocked to a 3200+ trick that we all know and love). and move this computer to the basement and put in the crappy videocard with the svideo out.

I'm really not sure which I should go for, I can afford either. I do spend alot of time on my computer, but this one is sufficent for most of what I do, with only slight lag some times. Although, this computer gets VERY hot being in my room (HD and CPU 50C and up) so I think putting it in the basement would do it some good, and this computer is very loud. Building a new quiet and cool computer could be fun, satisfying, and longer living, as well as make sleeping at night easier.

Also, if I do go for the new computer route, do you think it would be a smart decision to use ebay for the most part instead of say newegg?

Thanks for all your input.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    well here is what i would do, and there are estimated prices in canadian dollars next to teh item:

motherboard: a cheap ECS or something is OK, but if u want something reasonably good go for an asus board or gigabyte or abit. estimated price: $50-120

CPU: Athlon XP 2000+. estimated price: $70

RAM: 256mb PC2100 cheap memory. estimated price: $60

Video card: geforce 4 mx 440. make sure it has svideo out (most do). eestimated price: $40

Optical Drives: 16x DVD-ROM. Estimated price: $40

Hard drive: 40gb hard drive. estimated price: $60

Case: This kinda depends on if u want good looks or just any plain old beige case. estimated price: $20-$60

Power Supply: don't go too cheap on this, any over 40bucks should be sufficient, 350watt is recomended for this system.

That is the basis for your system, it is a good start i think. Prices add up to around $380-$450 canadian. Some of these parts can be cheaper, others may be more. Have a look around, you will be able to get away with a much cheapr cpu and motherboard. a Duron 850mhz would work great, should be very cheap too. Video card i wouldn't go any lower than teh one i chose for you.

good luck with choosing.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    If I were to go the buy an old computer route, there are some fine selections on ebay. around $200 for somthing at least as good as that, except for the processor.... that processor is better then my main computer's lol.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@27 June 2004 - 14:01
    If I were to go the buy an old computer route, there are some fine selections on ebay. around $200 for somthing at least as good as that, except for the processor.... that processor is better then my main computer's lol.
    well, u can upgrade it then

nahh u can go for older stuff it will work.

problem with buying from ebay is u gotta find one that comes with a video card with TV out...u find one, then your good.