Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psu...300w Or 400w?

razorsharp013's Avatar Fountain of Wit
    Researching parts for a new machine and this is the only hang up I am having, I think I've pretty much settled on everything else.

So for a machine with these specs:

Asus A7N8X-X Mobo, AMD Athlon XP 3200 400FSB, ATI Radeon 9200 SE for now but may up to ATI Radeon 9700 Pro eventually, 3 case fans and of course the CPU HSF, and the standard CD-RW, floppy and HDD....

What power supply would sufficent? I don't want to waste money on a 400W PSU when 300W would be more than enough.

Power supplies I admit to knowing nothing at all about so if you need more info just say so.

Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    First of all, i just want to say, don't go cheap on teh power supply. Go for a name brand: Enermax, Zalman, Antec, Thermal Take, a few other good brands but these ones are teh best.

for that system i'd say go for 400watt. 350watt may be enough (with a good power supply) but it would be cutting it pretty close...

if you were to go for a cheap power supply, then...you know what, don't go for a ceap one; just cases headaches later on.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Read this.
    And this.

Should give you some ideas.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The 2 I am looking at are both Zalman's and from the research I have done on them they certainly do appear to be very good models. The 300 being around $50 and the 400 around $70. But all that technical stuff about voltage and amps and stuff like that is all Greek to me.

So I'm sure I am getting a quality, very reliable PSU....I just need to know how much power I will need. Don't want to over do it, and certainly don't want to under do it.

Links:
    ZM400A-APF
    ZM300A-APF

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You can't overdo the PSU.

Only the reverse.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well I didn't mean over do like that....I meant it as in I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't need to.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I'd get the 400w.
    It's only twenty bucks more and you'll have some extra headroom to play with.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ok. Thanks Clocker!

One more thing though.....both models are single fan I believe...is that a big deal?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by razorsharp013@28 June 2004 - 00:25
    Ok. Thanks Clocker!

One more thing though.....both models are single fan I believe...is that a big deal?
    No, the PSU should be designed to handle its own heat. If not then Zalman would be in a lot of trouble.

Little excess case heat should ever even go through the PSU in a good fan arrangement, so nothing to worry about there...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Great! Ok everyone, thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast