Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Upgrade

silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Ok so I don't really know how to build a computer and I'm going to upgrade my current computer so I might go to a class that taught how to build comps. The only problem is that if I wan't to build a computer there I have to buy thier parts which may not be good considering how much money thier parts might be. So should I get guides or sumthin off the internet and learn myself and buy my own parts for probably cheaper or should I go there and learn but not get as good a deal. By the way can anyone recommend a cpu, motherboard, case(i need a new look), a powersupply,some fans, and memory and another harddrive. I don't know my exact budget cause I don't know exactly how much I have in the bank. All I know is that I have around $600 and I could get some more loned from my mom.

Sorry about all the questions I ask maybe im too Nooby or sumfin

:helpsmile: :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Couldn't you take parts that you buy into the class to build on? or is that too much work? guess it is..

most of it is all basic, really easy stuff. Whatever you can't figure out search google for, or ask on this forum as you build. Most is just like lego, peices only go one way. Hardest stuff is like figuring out how the front audio headers go and stuff (I spent about 40 minutes doing that with my new case today, never even got it working), attaching heatsink is pretty easy but you gotta do it right or u could fry processor...

One of the easy things but it annoys me the most is wire placement...i hate having wires all around the case, wish they could all be hidden.

I screwed up on heatsink again. I'm so ashamed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@29 June 2004 - 23:01
    Couldn't you take parts that you buy into the class to build on? or is that too much work? guess it is..

most of it is all basic, really easy stuff. Whatever you can't figure out search google for, or ask on this forum as you build. Most is just like lego, peices only go one way. Hardest stuff is like figuring out how the front audio headers go and stuff (I spent about 40 minutes doing that with my new case today, never even got it working), attaching heatsync is pretty easy but you gotta do it right or u could fry processor...

One of the easy things but it annoys me the most is wire placement...i hate having wires all around the case, wish they could all be hidden.
    Thanx for ur quick response. I guess I should prolly build it myself cause im shure I could get it at a cheaper price. Can u recommend guides for building. And if anyone knows any good computer parts that would help considering my limited knowledge of specific parts and prices. :helpsmile:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    @HardcoreGamer You what to upgrade your current spec's, The one in your Sig.? Why seems like a nice setup, Mabey upgrading your mobo , memory and cpu. . Great way to learn how to build. Then sell old parts to your buddies. You probably know more than the teacher of that class.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    HCG,

Do you live in/near a major metropolitan area?
    If so there will be lots of ways to get your hands on a junky (probably dead) old PCfor cheap. if not free.
    Doesn't matter what kind.
    Take it home and tear it apart.
    Then put it back together.

You've just learned the basics.

Newer chips and heatsinks install differently than old ones, but there is a wealth of pictorial help on the net and it's really not hard to do.

My sister was amazed when I helped her assemble her new PC this spring.
    "It's really this easy?"

You first build might take all day.
    After your fifth, it will take about an hour.

All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver and an inquiring mind.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by peat moss@29 June 2004 - 23:15
    @HardcoreGamer You what to upgrade your current spec's, The one in your Sig.? Why seems like a nice setup, Mabey upgrading your mobo , memory and cpu. . Great way to learn how to build. Then sell old parts to your buddies. You probably know more than the teacher of that class.

http://www.tomshardware.com/
    well i was thinking of just upgrading my mobo cause of the 4X AGP speed but i thought why not the processor also then it kinda got outta hand but I am looking for a performance boost in all the new games cause right now I get horrible framerates in games like farcry and stuff so...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by HardcoreGamer@29 June 2004 - 17:23
    I get horrible framerates in games like farcry and stuff so...
    https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=116196

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by clocker@29 June 2004 - 23:17
    HCG,

If so there will be lots of ways to get your hands on a junky (probably dead) old PCfor cheap. if not free.

Newer chips and heatsinks install differently than old ones, but there is a wealth of pictorial help on the net and it's really not hard to do.

"It's really this easy?"

I live over one hundred miles away from Detroit and the arent any other big cities around so I don't know about finding an old pc eaisly but that does sound like a good idea.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by clocker@29 June 2004 - 15:17
    HCG,

"It's really this easy?"

How true clocker I learnt on old p 100 and 133 ,s my dad brought home from behind the dumpsters in Vancouver, he,s a truck driver.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+29 June 2004 - 23:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 29 June 2004 - 23:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HardcoreGamer@29 June 2004 - 17:23
    I get horrible framerates in games like farcry and stuff so...
    https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=116196 [/b][/quote]
    Well i also get these problems in Splintercell, Hitman Contracts, and in Unreal Tourney 2004 in Onslaught and I do do defrag my harddrive like every good once in awhile. So i dont know wats wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast