Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting To Cd From Boot Disk

Keikan's Avatar ........
    Ok so i try to burn a windows xp disc and i screw up fuck who knew that winiso didn't make bootable isos automatically. I don't wanna waste another cd burning another one so i heard you can use the win98 boot disc to boot it up problem? when i put in win98 boot disc and i type D:\ it has invalid drive specification now what?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    download the windows bootdisk from here.
    Then when in dos boot from cd and i think the cd drive moves two letters in front so if your drive was d you type e:\...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    OK let me start again

1. I screwed up burning a win xp cd thanks to the idoit program (come on it's a bootable cd how can you not make a bootable iso??)

2. I don't want to use 6 floppies just to make a boot

3. I heard you can use the win98 boot disk to just load the cd drivers and then go to setup on cd from dos

4. But when i boot from the win98 boot disk and try to change drive it says 'invalid drive specification'

so e or f?

d + 2 = f

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    A quote from another site "Note 1:
    A lot of people appear to be unaware of the fact that you do NOT need the 4, 5 or 6 setup disks in order to install Windows 2000 and XP. A common Win98 boot disk such as the Boot Disk Essentials diskette below can be used to install these OS's. This is what the Win XP System Setup Disk above does. Here's how to do it:

Start the computer with your chosen boot disk.

Change to the cdrom drive.

Go into the \i386 directory on the cdrom.

Run WINNT.EXE to begin the install process.

" quoted from here I haven't used one of there boot disks so beware...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Keikan+28 June 2004 - 23:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Keikan &#064; 28 June 2004 - 23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>OK let me start again

1. I screwed up burning a win xp cd thanks to the idoit program (come on it&#39;s a bootable cd how can you not make a bootable iso??)[/b]

Idiot program? A bad workman blames his tools, and WinISO is a pretty good tool. Perhaps you chose the wrong tool or wielded it in the wrong manner?

Originally posted by Keikan@28 June 2004 - 23:43
    3. I heard you can use the win98 boot disk to just load the cd drivers and then go to setup on cd from dos
    True

<!--QuoteBegin-Keikan
    @28 June 2004 - 23:43
    4. But when i boot from the win98 boot disk and try to change drive it says &#39;invalid drive specification&#39;

so e or f?

d + 2 = f
    [/quote]
    The Win98 Install disk should try and run setup from the CD after mounting the drive, while it&#39;s Startup Disk tells you the CDROM drive&#39;s letter. If you get access to neither a RAMdrive or CDROM drive then you probably have just a bootable DOS disk.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    @accat13

yya thats where i got the idea, only the cd drivers on those bootdisks is corrupted

@chewieUK

Well the the cd is bootable don&#39;t you think WINISO would have made a bootable iso? No it didn&#39;t and thats where we are today.

Ok i got the cd drivers to load and when xp setup it says setup has an internal error no place for swap file.

hey i didn&#39;t finalize my burn with nero anyway to add something so it can boot>?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    bump

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    um.. have you tried
    right clik floppy drive
    clik format
    mark - create an MS-Dos startup disk????????

I have tried putting all the info from the 6xp boot disks onto a cd and trying to boot from it........dont work...alas

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Ok i got the cd drivers to load and when xp setup it says setup has an internal error no place for swap file.
    Have you formatted the drive ?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...s;307848&nbsp; -&nbsp;

Create a partition on the hard disk and format it with the FAT or FAT32 file system.
    For additional information about creating a partition, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 255867
    How to use the Fdisk tool and the Format tool to partition or repartition a hard disk

Note The Windows XP Setup program requires at least 383 megabytes (MB) of free disk space to copy installation files.
    hey i didn&#39;t finalize my burn with nero anyway to add something so it can boot>?
    No because the disc would have two writes which can only be seen when windows in on and nero loaded.

I have tried putting all the info from the 6xp boot disks onto a cd and trying to boot from it........dont work...alas
    Have alook here: http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/ - How to make a bootable disc.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Ya I have formatted the drive with NTFS, that why it don&#39;t work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast