Thread: Tv Tuner / Pvr

Well I installed my TV Tuner and I noticed when I went to Capture anything the size of the file is very large since its not compressed, other than thatn it works fine. I installed Dr DivX and went to Capture the feed and had no problem getting video and at a good size but no matter what Ive tried I cant get the audio to record as it seems the audio is only feeding through the Line In while I am using the TV Tuner at which point I cant use Dr DivX at the same time, it would seem if I can Capture video with Dr DivX then I should also be albe to get audio to record also...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I read somewhere that it may be needed to enable audio recording by opening the Recording Control panel by going to Start -->> Run and then SND-VOL32/REC then thats supposed to open the Recording Control panel and then Im supposed to make sure to select Line In, thing is that does nothing and I never see any panel, also seems odd because even though I cant record audio with Dr DivX I can in regular capture mode fine and after testing other audio on Line In it works fine also, so whats the...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    I've never managed to record anything properly with Dr Divx from my tv card before so can't really advise on this. I tried it with version 1, but it had bugs and did not work properly, so i discarded it.

However, I use windvdr which i would recommend to everyone. Try it and if you still have the same problems with windvdr then perhaps i could advise.
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Will WinDVDR capture the video and audio stream from my tvtuner in a compressed format, if so then I'll give it a try...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by REALITY@2 July 2004 - 03:16
    Will WinDVDR capture the video and audio stream from my tvtuner in a compressed format, if so then I'll give it a try...
    Depends on what level of compression you want. For the best quality windvdr records in mpeg 2 (dvd complient).

But not in divx/xvid or any other mpeg 4 variant.

Whats your system specs? the higher the quality the more processor power is needed.
    Robert00000

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    3.0mhz, P4, 512 ram. Although I think at best in mpeg2 at 1 hour would equal about 1gb or so, at least thats what I get now, whereas in avi I can get it down to 600mb and even lower, just looking for the right application to do it. Although I can always take teh mpeg and concert it, was just looking for a more direct way...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by REALITY@2 July 2004 - 15:29
    3.0mhz, P4, 512 ram. Although I think at best in mpeg2 at 1 hour would equal about 1gb or so, at least thats what I get now, whereas in avi I can get it down to 600mb and even lower, just looking for the right application to do it. Although I can always take teh mpeg and concert it, was just looking for a more direct way...
    At that quality, the files size for a 1 hr video would be huge. Didnt your tv tuner come with any software? What type is it?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Its a WinTV by Hauppauge, the last one I had was trash and I really like this one because it has a nice GUI and can be controlled by the StreamZap remote also. As for the software it does come with it, thats what I am using to capture the mpeg2 at around 1gb per hour, mpeg1 is about 600mb per hour but looks like utter shit.

I did finally figure out how to capture the audio and video together through DivX, although at high quality it lands at about 500mb per hour or so, not really worth the effort of making the avi considering the quality is about the same as the mpeg2 or so it seems slightly worse. It is better if I intended to transfer the file given the size. I intend on also testing capturing it in XviD, since if I could get the file at that size with just slightly better quality it would be worth making the avi instead.

Funny thing is that you mention size, I did try a high quality avi mpeg4 capture with the software that comes with the tv tuner and if I remember correctly it would have ended up at 60gb per hour...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Have a look at this page for a list of software, some do what you want. read the details and try them out and give us feedback if they work.

http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=...=15&search.y=13
    Robert00000