Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Problem

TRshady
    Hey all, I have a Maxtor diamondmx plus 8 (20gb) given to me by a friend as he's recently upgraded his pc. The hard drive has been used by me before and I know it works well but for some reason I simply can't get it to work either as master or slave.

I wan't it as slave to use as storage (and useful back up incase it fecks up) but have tried a different combination of both jumpers, cables and looking around in bios and think it's finally time to request help from the hardware gurus at the FST forum. =D

Here' a picture of it .. well the 40gb version at least:

Anyone know why it isn't detected as slave and what steps I could take?
    Thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    angel_of_death57
    Look at the back of thehard drive and see what it is set as u need to change jumbers correctly i think look at this guide.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020904/diy-10.html

I think this might be the error

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TRshady
    The jumper settings for slave are shown in the pic above (the darker jumpers have the label 'DS (slave) or spare' and I'm sure there set right ...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Does it show up in device manager?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/...quick_specs.pdf

Use this guide and set it as Cable Select (CS) then connect the drive to the center IDE connector of you cable for Slave.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    ya...i guess you can store a lot of ebooks with your new hard drive....

if you use cable select make sure the slave drive is in the middle of the bus, the end one is for the primary

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by TRshady@30 June 2004 - 04:10
    The jumper settings for slave are shown in the pic above (the darker jumpers have the label 'DS (slave) or spare' and I'm sure there set right ...
    I have a 20gb maxtor in my old computer. I think i also had trouble setting it as slave, but i can't remember what it was i did. Might have set it to cable select, or maybe i ahd to remove the jumpers alltogether.

I'll check later when noone is using that computer and see how it is set up

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    TRshady
    Have tried with no jumpers at all .. as well as setting it to 'cable select' .. still goes undetected in bios and in device manager, my computer etc. Hopefully someone can give me a solution, I appreciate the replies.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by TRshady@30 June 2004 - 13:07
    Have tried with no jumpers at all .. as well as setting it to 'cable select' .. still goes undetected in bios and in device manager, my computer etc. Hopefully someone can give me a solution, I appreciate the replies.
    would it be possible for you to hook it up as master on the secondary ide channel, then put any cd drives you may have as slave?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    TRshady
    From what I remember it doesn't work as master ... still going undetected but I'll have a go and thanks for the decent suggestion. I'll get back to ya on how it went.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast