Thread: Is The Only Reason Portforwarding Speeds Up Dls

Poster
    because seeing as your router firewall is ineffective, you're able to connect to more sources and therefore get faster downloads? for instance, if I'm able to download from someone and the maximum they can upload to me is at 30 kb/s, but I'm only downloading from them at 5 kb/s, would portforwarding speed up that download and let me download from them at 25 or so kb/s? in other words, does port-forwarding only allow you to download from sources you couldn't usually download from and not make a difference to the speeds of those you can download from normally?

I' masking this because I cant find any info on how to portforward my router (Marconi, windows 98se) and I don't know much about it and I Don't know if it's worth going to all that trouble.

Someone said that setting my port to 80 or 81 as incoming and on the connection and firewall options of P2P programs would download faster than the normal 4661 so I've set my incoming port to 80 on all of my P2P programs (K-lite, overnet, limewire, BT) will this help with speeds or not make a difference? Is this in a sense Portforwarding or will I have to do something else/
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i believe port forwarding will allow you to just connect to more sources. if you can connect to a source and download from it, port-fwrding will not get you any higher speeds from them.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Ahhh thank you,

well, either way, I got advice to set my ports for P2P to 80 because my ISP slows down lower priority ports to battle P2P

Is setting ALL of my P2P Clients to 80 and firewall port to 80 bad? Should I set one program to 80, one to 81, one to 82 etc?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    it would only be an issue if you were running the different apps using the same port at the same time
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMD 2600
    512 DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    GeForce 5600 FX 256mb
    Sony DVD writer +/-
    Windows XP</span></span>
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bit torrent client - ABC</span></span></span>

5. File Sharing   -   #5

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by Vamp@30 June 2004 - 14:52
    Someone said that setting my port to 80 or 81 as incoming and on the connection and firewall options of P2P programs would download faster.......
    If you don&#39;t want to use the default ports in each p2p, use a random port instead of 80 or 81. 80 and 81 are default ports in all kinds of apps that your puter is probably running and adding to them will only create more traffic delays, not increased speeds.

I&#39;d also advise using a different set of ports for each p2p if you intend on running them at the same time for the same reason. If you only run a single p2p at a time then feel free to use a single set of ports.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    If you got a good connection and a really stable firewall, then being behind a firewall will have NO effect on the speeds you can get from the nonfirewalled sources you connect to. In fact, if the firewall is a hardware one like a router it may even be a little faster due to your computer not getting all the &#39;background static&#39; from random pings of your connection by bots/trojans/spyware/viruses/hackers/governments/ISPs...

BUT... the best of both words is to be firewalled for almost all purposes EXCEPT the file-sharing program/s you&#39;re using. That way you still won&#39;t get all the random/useless/hostile pings -- but you will get FULL p2p networking access.