Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Meh A Heatsink/fan

TRshady
    Hey all,
    heres my relevant specs:

1800+ AMD Athlon XP
    ECS K7S5A PRO mobo
    350watt PSU

the fan I have at the moment has a noise level of 34db which is bloody annoying and I am hoping someone here can point out a decent fan I could replace it with. Main thing from stopping me is I'm unsure of weather the current heatsink will fit other fans, do all fans come with a heatsink and .. well, unsure if it suits my processor/motherboard. =(

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler (Socket A) (HS-003-AK)
    The Akasa AK821 offers superb performance for such a quiet cooler, with official AMD approval for Athlon XP 2800 processor the AK821 is certainly no slouch but with a super quiet 60mm Sanyo Denki fan it is almost impossible to hear when fitted.

£11.10

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl..._Akasa_119.html

About a quarter of the way down or...

Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail (HS-007-ZA)
    The Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu is a super-quiet cooling solution for Intel Pentium 4 (Socket478), AMD Athlon (Socket A) and AMD Athlon 64 (Socket754) CPUs. It features a heatsink constructed entirely from pure copper for the very best heat dissapation. It is cooled by a 92mm fan with fully adjustable fan speed controller (1350 - 2450RPM).

Overkill maybe for your processor and expensive but it is very very quiet and reccomended by many on this board...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...Zalman_121.html

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TRshady
    Would this one work with my current hardware .. and is there much of a difference between 34db and 28db?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TRshady
    Thanks for the quick reply ... surprised to see the one I found was same manufacturer and range as which you presented. =) ... Seems that's 33db .. only one db less then my current compared to 28db fan I just linked too. Only want to spend £15 max but it would make a big difference ... currently feels like there's a bus parked in my room.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    If you are looking just for quiet fans, here are a good range, to find out which you need just measure the diameter of your currrent one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/zalman_fans.html

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    80mm fan and an 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor.

Or, if you wwant it REALLY quiet, try to find a 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor, and combine it with the 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor....might be so big that it break your socket off teh motherboard lol...but atleast it is really quiet

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@2 July 2004 - 10:18

Or, if you wwant it REALLY quiet, try to find a 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor, and combine it with the 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor....might be so big that it break your socket off teh motherboard lol...but atleast it is really quiet
    Have you ever tried such a set up Ross?
    I have not.

I have spoken to someone who has, and results were very disappointing.
    Apparently, unless you allow for a substantial length for the diameters to funnel down, the backpressure will render the big fan almost usless.

His adaptor was a beautifully machined aluminum piece, but only about 1" thick, not enough depth as it turned out.

I think the 60 to 80mm adaptor ( which I HAVE tried) is the best comprimise....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker+2 July 2004 - 13:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 2 July 2004 - 13:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@2 July 2004 - 10:18

Have you ever tried such a set up Ross?
    I have not.

I have spoken to someone who has, and results were very disappointing.
    Apparently, unless you allow for a substantial length for the diameters to funnel down, the backpressure will render the big fan almost usless.

His adaptor was a beautifully machined aluminum piece, but only about 1" thick, not enough depth as it turned out.

I think the 60 to 80mm adaptor ( which I HAVE tried) is the best comprimise.... [/b][/quote]
    lol it was kinda of a joke, if it was only 1 inch wide it wouldn&#39;t work at all for exactly the reason you said, "back pressure" (wouldn&#39;t have been teh term I used , because i don&#39;t know any terms...lol).

80mm to 60mm adaptors look pretty short as well, but they work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast