Thread: Why Is This Happening?

Poster
    I started downloading a movie and the dl speed reached 85kb a sec. It's the fastest dl I've ever seen. The ul was 9kb with no seeds (180+ peers)

I checked back later and the dl is 0 kb with a ul of 9kb, again no seeds (180+peers)

Why is this happening?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Probably because there is no seeds.

You started and everyone, or a lot or people, had as much of the file as possible and no one was downloading. So they all caught you up to where they were, and now you're all just waiting and uploading.

This is a very bad situation. Although you don't need a seed if there is 100% of the file among peers, this clearly is not the case. You're just f*cked unless a seed comes back. It's a good idea to check these things out before you start your download.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    It's been about 12 hours now and I'm getting 1kb a sec (if I'm lucky). I've dl'd 65% of a 4200 mb movie. Theres 180 peers and no seeds. Are the peers experiencing the same dl speeds as me?

I'm done with supernova I'll stick to private sites where you have to sign up next time. At least they ban leechers

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    yes, any of the peers with about 65% are getting the same thing you are.... not much.
    supranova sucks, and it's one of the sites that the powers that be like to go and bust people. you would be much better off going almost anywhere else.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    I kept the download going to see what happens. I have the highest dl at 71%. My dl is still stuck stuck at 0. If I kept it running will I eventually get the movie? There seems to be 180 peers but their all under 71%, I'm just trying to figure out how BT works.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    What is the availability figure?

If you have 0 seeds and the availability is less than 1 then you have no chance of completion unless a seed returns.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    There may be a HIDDEN super seeder there which will APPEAR to have only a little more or no more of the file than you that is uploading the 'missing parts' of the file to everyone.

Chances are, they're uploading at the minimum setting of 3 KB/sec -- and it's being split randomly between all the users so even getting 1 complete chunk out to ANYONE is very slow. The more peers there are downloading, the slower super seed is about getting out missing pieces.