Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Democrats: Party Of The Rich

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by rollwave@1 July 2004 - 17:22
    The problem with liberals is that most have zero knowledge of history. Ever hear of the Civil War? Abraham Lincoln? Who was the president during the Civil War? Answer: A. Lincoln, the first Republican president. What was major cause of the Civil War? Ever hear of slavery? The Great Society? Civil Rights Act of 1965? Try going to the library and reading some history books instead of relying in Al Frankin, Michael Moore, and the Nation for information.
    A classic example of retorting to what one wished the other person said rather than what they actually said.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Not wishing to get too involved with this because it's not exactly "current affairs" but History is clouded with inacuracies and it depends on which source one chooses as to how much sun is blocked out. Remember that the word "history" comes from the made up theory i just made up "his story" meaning it's only as good as the viewpoint of the historian.

Of course there are certain facts that can be proven and Rat has done his homework very well or at least it seems that way

To rollwave directly on the comment of the "big picture".... the big picture couldn't exist without the components to get it to that size and if one only uses the components one approves of then your big picture may shrink or even colaspe under the strain of having insuficient framework.
    All that said the people of Lincons day are not the people of today for either party so to use such history is as irrelivent to the debates of today as blaming modern Italians for any wrong doings of the roman empire

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Hmmm.

From "Democrats: Party of the rich" to Lincoln, slavery, secession and the Civil War in several quick posts-

Too messy for me; I only have high boots for forum duty, not waders.

Slog to your heart's content, y'all!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by j2k4@1 July 2004 - 14:22
    Hmmm.

From "Democrats: Party of the rich" to Lincoln, slavery, secession and the Civil War in several quick posts-

Slog to your heart's content, y'all!
    actually it was the first post of the thread that went to the extremes

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by vidcc+1 July 2004 - 16:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc &#064; 1 July 2004 - 16:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@1 July 2004 - 14:22
    Hmmm.

Slog to your heart&#39;s content, y&#39;all&#33;
    actually it was the first post of the thread that went to the extremes[/b][/quote]
    The creator of the thread may take it wherever he likes, vid.

In any case, political affiliation is spread more-or-less evenly across the spectrum of social standing and class; Republicans and Democrats are split almost 1 for 1 in the U.S. (makes me wonder why the same proportion doesn&#39;t exist among the Americans on this board-there is an easily discernable fact to be gleaned, but, never mind that.)

Blacks no longer uniformly vote Democrat, even though the Dems still attract a strong majority of the black vote.

Hispanics vote similarly, although the majority is not quite so strong for the Dems as it is with blacks.

Oddly, Cuban refugees have a curiously strong Republican streak.

Just as oddly, Jews vote Democrat in large numbers, even though they are better represented, especially internationally (Israel) by Republicans.

Here&#39;s the kicker, though:

The Hollywood crowd is, statistically, almost 100% Liberal Democrat; I can count the Conservatives on two hands, if I look real hard.

Hollywood-probably the densest population of wealth outside NYC proper (another bastion of wealth and liberalism), and liberal to the total exclusion, almost, of any other political discipline.

Famous folks like Barbra Streisand, who back Kerry to the hilt, equate Bush to Hitler and Stalin, and twist the arms of the local gendarmes to keep the likes of you and I off a public beach near her home.

Barbra Streisand, who flouts zoning laws, and demands a "no-fly" zone over her estate.

Barbra Streisand, whose website advocates stringent environmental standards for you, but not her.*

She and Kerry have much in common, and more in common with Michael Moore tham Michael Moore does with any of us.

Why, pray tell, do you think this is the case?

*Sounds kind of extreme to me.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    J2 i can honestly say i have no idea why anyone supports a particular party because i can&#39;t read minds. Perhaps the Hollywood group being more cosmopolitan than most Americans can see the merrits of middle thinking...who knows.

I haven&#39;t thought of visiting the streisand website before now but i get the feeling my firewall would block it .... anyway i was wondering how you came to the conclusion that she was for stringent enviroment controls for all "except herself". Perhaps you could link to the evidence that brought you to this conclusion.
    i don&#39;t think that to be a democrat you have to allow everyone in your personal space so to speek, perhaps babs is guilty of having a big head to match the nose, If she flouts the law hopefully she will pay the price. But regardless of the "do you know who i am" habit of the hollywood stars perhaps they vote democrat because they do care about issues that affect many less well off Americans and feel that the Democrats will help more than the republicans...this is of course a matter of opinion.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by vidcc@1 July 2004 - 21:40
    Perhaps the Hollywood group being more cosmopolitan than most Americans can see the merrits of middle thinking...who knows.

perhaps they vote democrat because they do care about issues that affect many less well off Americans and feel that the Democrats will help more than the republicans...this is of course a matter of opinion.
    I&#39;d love to have it explained to me how being "cosmopolitan" relates to "enlightenment", and how that, in turn, translates into effective and logical reasoning .

I care about issues that affect "less-well-off" Americans too, vid, because (at the moment, anyway) I am one.

I guess I define the issues differently, eh?

Good night.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by j2k4@1 July 2004 - 20:16

I&#39;d love to have it explained to me how being "cosmopolitan" relates to "enlightenment", and how that, in turn, translates into effective and logical reasoning .

it doesn&#39;t translate to "enlightenment" it just means that they may have seen different ways of doing things and may feel that those ways would be beneficial to us...it&#39;s opinion and it has as much relevence to logical reasoning as yours and my opinions have.
    I care about issues that affect "less-well-off" Americans too, vid, because (at the moment, anyway) I am one.

I guess I define the issues differently, eh?
    Oh i have no doubt which is why i said it&#39;s a matter of opinion that the democrats would help more.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@1 July 2004 - 18:13

Famous folks like Barbra Streisand, who back Kerry to the hilt, equate Bush to Hitler and Stalin, and twist the arms of the local gendarmes to keep the likes of you and I off a public beach near her home.

Barbra Streisand, who flouts zoning laws, and demands a "no-fly" zone over her estate.

Barbra Streisand, whose website advocates stringent environmental standards for you, but not her.*

Oh really, j2.

This particular debating trick is way beneath you.

You really want to pick a single person and use her to personify Democrats in general?
    Or even the much maligned "Hollywood liberals"?

Shall I spend a few minutes with our good buddy Google and find an equally despicable Bush supporter to personify Republicans?

We can stage our very own Celebrity Death Match.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    A quote from a recently sworn in Canadian citizen..(It&#39;s Canada day here)
    "The American dream is to become rich" " The Canadian dream is to live a better life". Just my thought&#39;s shared openly, between friend&#39;s.
    Tim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast