Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Meh A Heatsink/fan

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@2 July 2004 - 11:16

80mm to 60mm adaptors look pretty short as well, but they work.
    I have tried two different 60-80mm adaptors.
    Oddly, ( and in total contadiction to my theory about length) the shorter of the two worked the best.
    It was a translucent blue plastic one that I got at CompUSA, about 1"-1 1/4" tall.
    The other was black plastic about 2 1/2-3" tall.

I don't recall if I used the same fan on both adaptors...maybe that explains the results.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    As many of you already know, I've made many fan adaptors. The best results I have seen is with one that is only ½" tall. That's what I currently have in my machine.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    These are 60-80mm adaptors?

What other lengths have you tried?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Yes clocker, 80mm fan to 60mm heatsink.

The first one I made was 1½" in height. I then tried 2" and noticed poorer performance so I tried going shorter and shorter until reaching ½". I don't think that going any closer would work very well. The angle of the sidewalls would just block airflow from the fan.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I'm curious.
    As we have both noticed the same result...longer adaptor=worse performance, have you a theory to explain this?
    I'm thinking that the fans I was using simply didn't generate enough pressure to penetrate to the bottom of the HS, but this is only a guess.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Same here. The force of airflow feels strongest when you put your hand very close the fan. I guess that extra force better reaches the base of the heatsink. That was my concern with that tower of yours. The airflow never reaches the base.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    That could also explain why the Zalman cooler works well even with a slow quiet fan. The fan is so close to the base.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Well, in theory, there is no heat at the base of the SilentTower...it is conducted up to the finned area by the heatpipes.

Just for general information...
    I have not given up on the SilentTower swap, but I am obsessed with the idea that I did a poor job of testing it on Sprocket and before I let it go I should retry it.
    Although many reviews state that it is a mediocre performer, none has reported the truly awful results that I got.
    I may have just screwed up somehow.
    Also, I have in mind a design for a new fan shroud for it that would reorient the fan(s) to the more desirable ( theoretically) front/back configuration.
    Being a lazy bugger by nature, I haven't actually gone any further than the "staring/pondering stage", but I am loathe to give up on it before I at least try.

Also, I read about an mod to the Zalman 7000 that I'm interested in trying.
    Looking at the pic you posted VB, it would seem logical to assume that a lot of the air from the fan would take the easy route out of the sink and flood out the two large gaps at the sides of the fins.
    Plugging these gaps ( I'm thinking of using foam) would force more air through the fins and improve the heat transfer.
    Simply done and potentially effective.

Naturally, either of these two paths would require me to remove the watercooling system that I just installed, but I have soured on that anyway the past few days.
    Performance is still good, but as my room ambient temp has increased ( summer has finally arrived in Denver) the temp advantage over my aircooled configs has decreased to the point that the added complexity/risk/difficulty of servicing is becoming a signficant factor.
    An upgrade in the waterrig is due ( after all, the AquariusII IS a low end kit), but I think an external box might be the way to go, so removing the kit now is probably not such a loss.

My problem is that I think too much and can't seem to just settle on a layout and leave it alone.
    Too many ideas, not enough energy to try them all out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by clocker@3 July 2004 - 09:03
    My problem is that I think too much and can't seem to just settle on a layout and leave it alone.
    Too many ideas, not enough energy to try them all out.
    I had noticed that about you.

I try to keep to the most simple layouts for ease of service. I look for the shortest route to effective performance. Overengineering isn't always good but it can certainly be entertaining.

Don't use foam. It could melt or be a fire hazard.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Well, it's hardly a closely held secret is it?

You should see what I'm doing NOW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast