Thread: Oil-for-food: Iraqi Official Killed

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Iraqi Oil-for-Food Official Killed
    Saturday, July 03, 2004

BAGHDAD, Iraq — An Iraqi official killed this week in a car bombing was in charge of the Iraqi investigation into allegations that the ousted regime siphoned billions from the U.N. oil-for-food program (search), an official of an Iraqi political party said Saturday.

Ehsan Karim, head of the Finance Ministry's audit board, died Thursday of injuries suffered that day when a bomb exploded as he was heading for work. His driver and bodyguard also were killed.

As head of the ministry audit board, Karim was in charge of the Iraqi probe into the oil-for-food scandal, Entifadh Qanbar, spokesman of Iraqi National Congress (search), told The Associated Press.

"It's possible that he was killed because of the investigation, which is a serious issue," Qanbar said. However, Qanbar said it was too early to say whether he was targeted because of the investigation.

The leader of the INC, Ahmad Chalabi (search), was instrumental in drawing international attention to alleged corruption in the U.N. program, under which Iraq was permitted to sell limited amounts of oil to ease the burden on the public despite U.N. sanctions imposed after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990.

The audit board has been given responsibility in March for the Iraqi investigation by the former U.S. governor, L. Paul Bremer. Karim had taken charge of more than 20,000 files from Saddam's regime related to the oil-for-food program.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Interesting!

What happened to the previous thread on this? Did it fall to the May massacre?

It is also note worthy that the Coalition has all but shut Chalabi down. Does the plot thicken?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Yes, its interesting.

However both sides would be happy if he went away.

He also said he would help in the KMPG audit in anyway possible last week, just after the handover brought it to a halt.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    The plot has indeed thickened; with oil-for-food burgeoning, Iran posturing, France cringing, and Chalabi, well...being Chalabi, I'd say the soup is on the verge of becoming badly over-starched.

I decided to start another thread because I couldn't be fussed to use my scroll-wheel.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by j2k4@4 July 2004 - 16:59

I decided to start another thread because I couldn't be fussed to use my scroll-wheel.

As good a reason as any.

Not sure about the idea of the French cringing. French cowardice is a much overplayed theme which doesn't bear a lot of historical examination.

Now French cussedness is a theme with limitless potential.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Just insofar as Chirac has been in the news, not being popular at home, and elements in the U.S. readying another "boycott France" effort, all on top of rumors Chirac was hip-deep in the O.F.F. shenanigans.

EDIT: Of course, you're right; it is terribly difficult to embarrass the French.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I suspect it is the attacks on the French as a nation that are bolstering Chirac's support at home. There is nothing that gives a French President street credibility as being disliked by "culturally illiterate foreigners". They replay the criticisms on French TV then laugh like drains.

I have French friends and love France as a country but they do take a somewhat perverse delight in being difficult.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by Biggles@4 July 2004 - 12:52
    I suspect it is the attacks on the French as a nation that are bolstering Chirac's support at home. There is nothing that gives a French President street credibility as being disliked by "culturally illiterate foreigners". They replay the criticisms on French TV then laugh like drains. 

I have French friends and love France as a country but they do take a somewhat perverse delight in being difficult.
    Ze entire nation as couquette, non?

I'll have to remember your point, Biggles.

-Mark Twain