Thread: A Few Annoyances With The Volume

david622's Avatar Procrastinator
    I have a couple issues with the volume on my computer. First of all, I should say that my speakers DO NOT have volume dials or anything.

Secondly, you should all know that I am running an eMachines T2682, with the keyboard/speakers that come with the computer.

I mention the keyboard because the volume buttons (and mute) are on the keyboard. However, some things have been bothering me:

1) I can't really fine tune the volume (it changes in large "steps) without going into the Volume Control utility that comes with Windows (XP Home) and changing the Wave volume

2) There's a certain CD I have (I use Real Player for CDs if it makes a difference) that I need the balance to be a certain way, and every time I select a new track manually, the balance resets itself to the middle

Is there any way to fix these issues?

Thanks a lot,
    David622

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1. Sounds like you are using a cheap ass sound card or you are using bad drivers. Have you tried upgrading them? What sound card do you have anyways? Maybe you can buy a new sound card.

2. Try using Winamp to play CD.

3. Get speakers that Do have volume dials.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You can buy some really cheap 20 dollar speakers that are guaranteed to be beter than what u use now.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    My sound card is "Realtek AC97 Audio"

I can't find the homepage, so I can't tell if the drivers are up to date. Windows Update can't find any driver updates for my computer.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by david622@6 July 2004 - 18:35

I can't find the homepage, so I can't tell if the drivers are up to date. Windows Update can't find any driver updates for my computer.
    What motherboard do you have?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 July 2004 - 04:54
    You can buy some really cheap 20 dollar speakers that are guaranteed to be beter than what u use now.
    Haha, his speakers must've cost like 5$, or less because that is what i am finding them for on the web.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/ac97.html

Go there, and download the drivers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by david622@6 July 2004 - 19:35

I beleve this is the web page http://www.realtek.com.tw and this is the driver your looking for

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97...8&Software=True

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks a lot for the links and help.

By the way, like I stated above, the speakers were FREE with the computer; don't think I bought these.

I'm currently downloading the latest drivers. I'll post again when the download finishes (I've got a 56k modem, so be patient )

EDIT: Hey, I just had an idea. Does anyone know if there's a way I can program a keyboard shortcut so I can change the Wave volume instead of the main volume?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I've tried those drivers for my onboard realtek ac97 sound and it didn't work after installing them, but it could just be my shitty motherboard.

(reinstalling\rollingback to old ones made it work again).

Reason i asked for motherboard model is becuase usually the sound drivers provided by your motherboard manufacturer, or by the cipset manufacturer, work...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    The same thing happened to me: I updated the drivers and the sound stopped working, so I ended up rolling back the drivers as well.