Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sp1 Re-installation

manker's Avatar effendi
    Recently I had a destructive virus that damaged or destroyed a good proportion of all the executables on my system, I've spent a fair bit of time repairing and have taken the opportunity to upgrade a lot of the apps that I had that were a getting a bit old - but I kept having problems, more glitches than anything but my XP wasn't running at all smooth.

I'm pretty sure these glitches are because the SP1 I installed was damaged because the problems are similar to before I downloaded SP1, plus an uninstaler program I have showed SP1 to be damaged.

The problem I have is how to uninstall SP1 and re-install it, SP1 isn't on the list of programs I can uninstall with my unistall program anymore. So. how do I uninstal and re-install SP1?

thanks for any help
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    When you first installed SP1 did you select the option to "archive files"?
    If not, I don't think you can remove it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by clocker@6 July 2004 - 14:01
    When you first installed SP1 did you select the option to "archive files"?
    If not, I don't think you can remove it.
    Thanks for the reply but I can't remember.

Would there be a way to repair it without removing it?
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    repair install will get rid of it.

Are you running an antivirus program? sounds like you aren't, and i highly recomend that you get one...NOD32 is great.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I'm running AVG, I was running Symantec corp at the time

anyway what do you mean, repair install of SP1? I'm not sure how to do that, although I havent looked into it too closely the CD doesnt give me the option. My copy of XP doesn't have SP1 included so I may as well reformat if I was to re-install windows

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    did you try to get the sp1 from microsoft again, and write over the existing files?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by wontellyagen@6 July 2004 - 19:10
    did you try to get the sp1 from microsoft again, and write over the existing files?
    yup. I have SP1 on a CD.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    There comes a time when spending too much time doing a repair is not cost effective any more. Time to Reformat and reinstall all your latest apps. You probably should have started there.

Or just try to reinstall SP1 again without doing the uninstall.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by firefox@7 July 2004 - 17:23
    There comes a time when spending too much time doing a repair is not cost effective any more. Time to Reformat and reinstall all your latest apps. You probably should have started there.
    I know what you mean but after the virus destroyed a lot of my .exes I took the opportunity to upgrade them and the unaffected ones, and as far as cost effectiveness goes; this is just a hobby, I enjoy learning about and maintaining my home PC

Or just try to reinstall SP1 again without doing the uninstall.
    I can't. the CD I have wont let me and I can't uninstall the (damaged) SP1, thats the problem I have.

OK, another question: if I download a copy of XP-pro with SP1 integrated would I be able to do a repair install over the top of my current (damaged) XP-pro? would that fix it?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    To repair XP put the disk in and choose to upgrade.

It will repair windows keeping all the apps in place but will get rid of SP1.
    Robert00000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast