Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Is Wrong With This Paragraph?

Originally posted by Keikan@7 July 2004 - 23:59
    what does that have to do with anything?
    Ok - edited out half of what I quoted to you to make the joke clearer. But as they say "If you have to explain it.....

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Jpol was being a bit harsh.

In her mind, based on where and how she was raised, she considers her mindset to be more inline with someone who is Canadian, rather than someone raised in the Orient.

Her citizenship and mind are Canadian, her phenotype(physical appearance) is Asian.

Which is more important?

I think her desire to separate herself from "Asians" is an attempt to illustrate that she is more interested in people and not ethinic origin. She mentions it because she has been racially stereotyped and does not like that.

Anti-spam sucks again

The "racial" issue IS with Keikan, but I think he wants her to acknowlegde her racial origin and not distance herself from it.

I don't think he is being malicious at all, I think his point is that, "Hey why distance yourself from your heritage. You can be a proud Canadian, without try to disrespect your heritage".

Overall, I think nobody has done anything wrong.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Originally posted by hobbes@8 July 2004 - 00:08

In her mind, based on where and how she was raised, she considers her mindset to be more inline with someone who is Canadian, rather than someone raised in the Orient.

Her citizenship and mind are Canadian, her phenotype(physical appearance) is Asian.

Which is more important?

I think her desire to separate herself from "Asians" is an attempt to illustrate that she is more interested in people and not ethinic origin. She mentions it because she has been racially stereotyped and does not like that.

Anti-spam sucks again
    That's how I read it... and I guess Keikan did too but maybe we missed something?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Poster
    Is she an asian in denial?

EDIT: You guys post fast!

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by 121@8 July 2004 - 01:10

EDIT: You guys post fast!
    No, you are a prick trolling.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@8 July 2004 - 01:08

Which is more important?

Anti-spam sucks again

The "racial" issue IS with Keikan, but I think he wants her to acknowlegde her racial origin and not distance herself from it.

I don't think he is being malicious at all, I think his point is that, "Hey why distance yourself from your heritage. You can be a proud Canadian, without try to disrespect your heritage".

Overall, I think nobody has done anything wrong.
    If you think I was being harsh that is up to you.

However I do not believe that racist posting is acceptable and as such I comment on it.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    ok
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+8 July 2004 - 00:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 8 July 2004 - 00:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-121@8 July 2004 - 01:10

EDIT: You guys post fast&#33;
    No, you are a prick trolling. [/b][/quote]
    J&#39;Pol,

You&#39;ve lost me again man Whenever I post you give a negative response&#33;

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@8 July 2004 - 00:14
    However I do not believe that racist posting is acceptable and as such I comment on it.
    I agree - completely unacceptable but I think I missed something in the paragraph to mke it such. Saying that I am not fully awake atm.

But Hobbes is always right

....but so is JP so

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+8 July 2004 - 00:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 8 July 2004 - 00:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@8 July 2004 - 01:02
    J&#39;Pol

I think nationality and racial identity are separate issues.

I think you are right in that there is a racist undertone in the piece - but it is not Keikan that is the source. The girl in question appears to be pandering to some sort of expected stereotype. I haven&#39;t bothered checking the link but it sounds awful.
    I care not one jot.

His explanation of how the paragraph was wrong is intrinsically racist. No matter his own background.

I find it intolerable and will say so. [/b][/quote]
    I understand what you are saying, although I think you are being a tad harsh on Keikan.

I followed the link. I am not sure what it is about but she would appear to be a rather pretty 14 year old Canadian of Japanese parentage. I am not entirely sure the parents would be comfortable with what she has done.

It might be fair to say that the only true Canadians are Native Americans. The rest are all a mixture of their source races. However, who am I to question the melting pot. If as Hobbes suggests she is trying to get away from stereotypes then this is good. I must say though, I read the piece as though it was written negatively about her own racial background, but I am content I may be wrong about this. I don&#39;t know enough about the dynamics of Canadian society to assess what is really going on - other than she appears to be trying to misbehave.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast