Thread: Firefox/ie

blank BT Rep: +1
    ok i am a recent convert to Firefox.

I run a website which i built with tables going across and down the page

looks kinda like this in IE which is what i built it to look like

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img69.photobucket.com/albums/v211/hungrylilboy/IE.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

However in FireFox it looks like this

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img69.photobucket.com/albums/v211/hungrylilboy/FIREFOX.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

The letters in caps match the same area in both browers.
    Now why is FireFox all messed up? Do I need to change a setting in it somewhere? I want it to look like it does in IE.

Sorry about the gay drawings

edit. click on the images to see them properly. this must be my worst post ever!
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Use the W3C HTML validator here to check the code of the page in question. If you have more than a few errors, there's your answer.

Firefox is a W3C-compliant browser - i.e. one that follows the rendering standards of the World Wide Web Consortium, the "governing body" that sets the standards of the Internet (e.g. protocols, web languages). Internet Explorer however does not exactly comply with W3C standards, hence it always renders a little differently than most other non-IE-based browsers.

That might not be the answer, but it's the most obvious one I can think of. If there's a few problems shown on that HTML validator, re-read your page code again. If there's no errors, then it'll be something else

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    ok there are a few errors which i'll fix (nice of my editor not to find them, grrr)

when i have changed them tho, will it look different in IE? as most of the people using it will be on IE?

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy@7 July 2004 - 14:29
    when i have changed them tho, will it look different in IE? as most of the people using it will be on IE?
    Try it and find out.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Originally posted by Mr. Blunt+7 July 2004 - 22:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr. Blunt @ 7 July 2004 - 22:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hungrylilboy@7 July 2004 - 14:29
    Try it and find out. [/b][/quote]
    ummm helpful

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy+7 July 2004 - 23:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy @ 7 July 2004 - 23:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mr. Blunt@7 July 2004 - 22:33
    <!--QuoteBegin-hungrylilboy
    @7 July 2004 - 14:29

Try it and find out.
    ummm helpful [/b][/quote]
    Actually, that&#39;s the only real good advice that can be given - As each of the IE/Gecko/Opera rendering engines have subtle differences, they very little way to predict how the buggers would render the page.

So the best solution is literally to try it in IE and Firefox - If you&#39;re writing the page in Dreamweaver, you can add the two browsers via the options window and preview the code in each using Preview in Browser

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Poster
    err u can try user agent swticher extension to make it think ur using ie6. that might help a bit

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    coding pages in compliance with W3C standars is your the best practice, but you will have times where you must do something a slightly different way than is logical, in order to make it look the same in all browsers.

Stick with XHTML 1.0 Transitional for now (or strict if you like, but it&#39;s really strict) for best results.
    The more you&#39;ll work, the more you&#39;ll find IE is pretty stupid when it comes to rendering even mildly complicated CSS.

You should always test pages in more than one browser anyway. Tailor your site to web standards, as they&#39;re for the good of everyone. Not to Microsoft, which is only interested in profits.

Anyway, if you do all that, and still can&#39;t make it come out right, post your source code here and I or someone else will surely help.

goodluck

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free