Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting The Most Out Of Bt

muchspl2
    depends on alot of things, like if there is only one seed you'll just have to wait

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    it says connected to 3 seeds; also seeing 1.999 distrubuted copies

and connected to 16 peers

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by 121@8 July 2004 - 09:20
    Switeck.

I was refering to my Max upload setting in my client window. I have a 750mb connection.

This is what I don't get. There are three settings.

Upload rate (kB/s) setting which is 0 to 5000.

Below this is the Max uploads setting which is between 4 and 100.  If I set the Max uploads to 100 will this increase my download speed too? It says that your download rate is proportional to your upload rate.

It also says that 0kB's means unlimited. With this in mind what is the best setting?
    Sorry, I misunderstood.
    4 uploads max means roughly 4 people will be downloading from you at once ASSUMING you have pieces of the file they're interested in AND you CAN upload to them (firewalls can prevent this&#33

If you have the UPLOAD bandwidth to spare so EACH upload gets 3 KB/sec or more, uploading to more than 4 people at once means considerably greater chances of getting 4 or more people uploading to you. This assumes the torrent has enough seeds and enough peers with most of the file that can upload to you.

If your BitTorrent program is firewalled, it absolutely cripples download and in some cases upload speeds.

If you upload without speed limits, it can kill the connection. At the least, if the other end/s can download quickly, you will at least experience horrible download speeds compaired to your upload speeds... as the other poster's 1st picture shows.

The BEST way to get a file downloaded fast AND quickly seed it 1 to 1 (upload it at least as much as you download it) is to set your upload speeds about 80-95% of your connection's max upload speed and max uploads at once anywhere from 4 to 20, depending on the number of peers and the speed of your connection. There's little point in setting max uploads higher than the max number of peers seen, unless you expect to connect to LOTS more. Also, about 25% of the peers won't upload anything to you in any case -- so if you see 10 peers you could probably set max uploads to only 7 so as to reduce the 'free handouts' given to those 'leechers'.

A 750mb connection is virtually impossible to have to yourself. You may be sharing such a connection at an extremely huge university, but chances are you meant a 750kb (750 kilobits/sec sometimes abbreviated 750kbps) connection. If you did have a 750mbps connection, you'd need a hard drive RAID-5 (SCSI-3 as well with 15k rpm hdds?) or better to handle the max download speeds. B)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12