Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me! "invalid System Disk" Problem

Hello, how is it going? Alright I need help...I am not very good with computers so you might need to explain just a little bit more than usual if thats ok. My old computer isn't working to well. I had recently cleared it out by deleting all my songs and junk like that...I had formatted all the songs to be on the C drive...and moved all my Folders to the D drive. So I cleared the whole C drive knowing that nothing important was in it but just songs. Well the next time I turn on the computer and after the first page when you boot up comes up, it says "invalid system disk replace and press a key when done" or something like that. I read all the previous posts on this problem but none seemed to help...maybe because I couldnt understand what the people were saying. Well yeah if you can help please do..and don't forget to explain it a little better because I'm not to good with computers..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Mivaro's Avatar _________
    ehh, did you moved ALL folders, including c:\windows?
    If that's the case, you can't just move your operating system and expect it to function......Also other program will stop functioning if moved. I don't know if it's possible to move them back, otherwise you'll have to reinstall windows......
    'English impaired'

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    No windows files were deleted I made sure of that, and I do want to reinstall windows I have the disks and all to do it... Can you tell me how I get passed this problem though? And yes the files were transfered correctly and it was working after I did that for months...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i think that u shoud restart your PC. and insert a startup disk.
    than format drive C completely, and then install WinXP all over again.....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Mivaro's Avatar _________
    you'll need a boot diskette to start in DOS ( if you don't have it dl it here. Insert the diskette and start th PC. It's best to format the C drive, so type Format C:. after that reinstall windows. It may be a good idea to surf the net before to find usefull sites, or buy a book I learned a lot by reading books like "windows for dummies" and such. I don't think it's wise to do these kinds of things without knowing what to do.
    'English impaired'

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    If you have an other computer you could do it with our advice step by step.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Yeah I'm on my other computer... I dont have that disk but I am going to download it from the site...I will keep this updated b/c im not too sure if it will completely work but thanks for the help so far!
    Its not that I dont know what I am doing its just a problem I couldnt handle....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    You will need a boot disk, however it does not need to be a dos boot disk, unless you want it to be. If you are currently using Win98se or earlier then you can make a startup disk from within that OS. If you don't know how to do that then come back and ask, we will monitor this thread for questions.

Once you have the disk then you will boot from that. Place it in the floppy and start the computer. It should boot to an a: prompt. If it does not do this then it is booting from the hard drive. You will have to go into the bios and change the setting.

As the computer starts read the screen. There will be a command for going into the bios, normally the delete key (tho not compaq). Press this and go into the bios. In there you can change the boot disk options. Make the floppy the first option, CD the second option and hdd the third option (IDE-0)

Save settings and re-start the computer, you will boot to the floppy a:

If you wish to recover the missing files you can do so from here. Please let us know if you want to do this and we will give some more details. If you want to format the hdd then do the following.

format c:/s

this will format the hdd and make it bootable. This will not work with a boot disk from ME onwards, the format will but not the /s switch.

Once it is formatted you have clean c:. You can install the operating system there. If you have 98 SE you can restart the computer with the cd in the drive (take out the floppy). The CD will boot and you can install the OS.

Otherwise reboot with the floppy in place. Select with CD support. When the system boots go to the CD drive, assuming it is e type

cd e:

Then just type setup. Proceed as normal.

I prefer to install 98 from the hdd and I can tell you how to do that if you want.

Cheers and Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks for that last reply that was very helpful! thanks very much!!! you all have been helpful and I didnt even have to wait..this sites great...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    I'm confused - how is this a hardware issue.

Not that it matters as long as the chap gets it fixed, but I cant see it myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast