Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cpu Bios Update Needed

Hi there,

The pc in this topic is win xp pro 2.4ghz athlon xp 640 sdram geforce 4mx 440 8x agp (running at 4x) jetway 830chmobo

Ive got a major problem with my girlfriends pc she brought a Amd Athlon
    xp 2.4ghz to replace her Duron 1.1ghz which was plonked onto a jetway 830ch.

Now the board is old and didn’t recognize the cpu so the bloke in the shop Who fitted it said to update the bios. He told me to d/l the update and then I should put the mobo cd in the drive and let it load however the system was barely usable, low colours random crashes ,anyway I loaded the cd and a magic install screen appeared he told me to click on magic bios and load the update and that should be that.
    But the magic bios link wasn’t there and by this point the pc was loading for a bit with 4bit colours and stayed a while (about 4 mins) then it crashed and restarted but kept crashing at the point were it loads all the programs into the taskbar and when it did load it was with 4bit colours and the classic skin for xp . so I read the manual and at the back it told me how to update using a Boot disc. I googled for a while on how to do this and I found out that if I used right click A:> format and tick create msdos startup disk then format it would create one for me but remembering to delete all but 3 files (command.com. io.sys and msdos.sys) I did all this then transferred the updated bios and a file called awdflash.exe to the floppy then restarted, it booted from the floppy and my manual tells me to type
    “awdflash A:\830chA10.bin /sn/py/cc/r”
    I did this and it loaded up a Flash bios update screen this proceeded to, I presume update the bios . I cant remember what it all looked like as I don’t know wether I should do it again but I remember little white squares appearing left to right on a line then also directly below it doing the same only the last 4 squares were blue
    Below this it had a little diagram saying white squares meant-???(cant remember think it meant updated ok) Blue squares meant-(I think)boot bios block and red meant not updated

After the squares all appeared (2 lines) the system restarted but on reboot on the screen with all the info(is this post) it said "cmos check sum error loading defaults" but It now recognized the cpu I had to hit f1 to continue or del to enter bios I hit f1 and the pc continued but crashed like before. It rebooted itself and I entered bios I changed the init display first to agp slot and disabled the on board sound as she has a 5.1 sound card in. i the restarted but it still kept looping and staying on for a bit then looping again

My mate told me to try a fresh install so I diid but the rom was having probs, when transferring system files it kept asking me to retry to read the disc the disc itself is fine so that must be something to do with the pc problem. it started to install then the dreaded blue screen came up and now each time it trys to finish installing it just blue screens and dies. The blue screen says

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The session manager initialization system proccess terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    The system has been shut down

I think I missed something in the bios because I think it resets itself when I update it
    Or maybe the bios isn’t updated right??? i dont know how to do it i thought it did itself

This is all I have done/was told to do and I have read around for two days now but im stuck and im desperately needing some advice

Sorry for going on but I wanna give you all the info I can

Thanx

Mike

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    First of all check what the cpu temp is...kinda sounds like the mobo might be shutting off because of overheating. (check in bios).

Also, after updating the bios you are supposed to clear the cmos, so do that as well (look in manual for how to do it), although i don't think this will help your problem.

Make sure everything inside th computer is seated right (heatsink, ram, videocard, soundcard, etc.).

If it still doesn't work then go inside the computer and unplug everything from the motherboard that u can except for the ram, cpu, heatsink, hard drive, and cdrom drive, and power supply. Use the onboard video and sound for now util we get windows installed.

Now try again.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

Unlike you Ross, I think the problem lies in the BIOS flash ( possibly bad) or a CMOS error and not a physical problem like the HS.

Reset the CMOS, if possible get into BIOS and reload system defaults and see what happens.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    hi thanx for the replys

i tried all of what ROSSCO 2004 said but the cd still has to retry files and it wont finish install i still get BSOD but the writing says
    irql not less or equal

my manual said to switch a jumper to clear cmos which i did i looked on the web and some sites said leave for two minutes others said 10 and others said switch it then switch straight back i left it for about 5 mins was this ok?? upon boot it said "cmos check sum error loading defaults"

im just pulling ideas out of thin air here but

1. I had an asrock k7s8x which ran a ddr400 ram at 400mhz even though my cpu was a 2.6 athlon with a 333fsb (apparently some boards knock the ram down to the proccessor Bus speed) my point is when i first set that up the ram was running at 333 and i got these exact symptoms but i changed the ram to run at 400 in the bios and it sorted i had no more problems at all does this board need a jumper switching for the ram to work with the cpu because i never saw the bloke in the shop do it
    2.While searching the web i saw something about the blue blocks in the bios update and im sure that was a bad thing

oh and the temps started at about 34 on boot (Hadnt been shut down long)
    and went to about 51

thanx

mike.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Kk4S-HaVoK@8 July 2004 - 14:49
    hi thanx for the replys

i tried all of what ROSSCO 2004 said but the cd still has to retry files and it wont finish install i still get BSOD but the writing says
    irql not less or equal

my manual said to switch a jumper to clear cmos which i did i looked on the web and some sites said leave for two minutes others said 10 and others said switch it then switch straight back i left it for about 5 mins was this ok?? upon boot it said "cmos check sum error loading defaults"

im just pulling ideas out of thin air here but

1. I had an asrock k7s8x which ran a ddr400 ram at 400mhz even though my cpu was a 2.6 athlon with a 333fsb (apparently some boards knock the ram down to the proccessor Bus speed) my point is when i first set that up the ram was running at 333 and i got these exact symptoms but i changed the ram to run at 400 in the bios and it sorted i had no more problems at all does this board need a jumper switching because i never saw the bloke in the shop do it
    2.While searching the web i saw something about the blue blocks in the bios update and im sure that was a bad thing

oh and the temps started at about 34 on boot (Hadnt been shut down long)
    and went to about 51

thanx

mike.
    You could try looking in the bios for overclocking stuff and set the ram to run at whatever, 400 if u want, if u think that might help.

I'd try flashing it again...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    well i flashed ity again and instead of 4 blue blocks there was six and that check sum error came up on boot

there isnt anything in bios about overclocking that i understand anyway i think 400 would be a bit much im still tryin to find the proccessor bus speed if that has one
    and it still crashed on install

im not even sure if the update completes as it doesnt say anything it just does the white n blue blocks and restarts superfast

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Is the processor an athlon XP 2400+ or are you sure it is an Athlon 2.4ghz?
    If it is a 2400+ probably 266mhz, no idea about a 2.4ghz athlon though...

And the Checksum error you keep getting is normal after a bios update or cmos reset, but the blue blocks probably aren't right...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    sorry yes its a 2400+

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Kk4S-HaVoK@8 July 2004 - 15:28
    sorry yes its a 2400+
    ok, ya , the FSB (bus speed, whaever u want to call it) is 266mhz

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    There is no need to clear the bios, you only need to do that if you can't get the thing to boot. When the pc boots, go into the bios and select "load defaults", then save and exit.

Now reboot, go into bios again and make any changes from defaults that you need, especially check hdd and cdrom drives. Then save and exit again.

Until you've done that there is no guarantee that anything you try to install will work properly.

Edit: you would certainly know about it if the bios had not installed properly, your system would almost certainly be dead.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast