Thread: Midi Mystery

OK, so I got this amazing program called Finale 2003, which is a music notation program (like sheet music) and it's great. Apparently it has this feature that allows you to play a midi file through it, and it will give you the sheet music. Needless to say, this would be godly, I'd never have to buy sheet music again (cuz it gets damn expensive when you get into opera and the like: Messiah broke my pocket like you wouldn't believe) So with this konwledge, it occured to me that if I could find a way to take my .mp3s, and make them into MIDI's, then I'd save a whole helluva lot of money. But I don't know how to. I've seen a couple programs that cost money, but before I buy any software, I want to see if I can do it for free.
    Thanks

2. Music   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    it doesn't really work well to do mp3s to midi. its much easier to get already done midis. they're all over the internet. a big site for them is musicrobot.com . its a search engine and it usually finds what i'm looking for.

i use the program guitar pro and it has the ability to do the same thing, however, the importing (at least on guitar pro) is less than perfect. you sometimes get tons of rests between everything, weird note lengths, wrong time signatures, lots of tempo changes etc. sometimes if you get a really well-made midi though, the import can go as smooth as butter.

3. Music   -   #3
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    I got the Finale here too. There's also Sibelius which is pretty much the same as Finale.
    I use a lot of that Guitar-Pro to learn some old/new riffs if needed,
    (in eMule there is a rar file with fuckalotta GP-files innit, search for Guitar-Pro)
    All these apps supports import/export Midi-files.

I did goofe around with Finale, was trying to import via scanned pictures, it suppose to be
    possible but i couldnt make it work, i had poor pics.

Since playing midi-files sounds crappy (the main reason is the soundcard, hook the PC on a good Synth and you know what i mean)
    I've found an App that makes atleast the Orchetrated songs sound way-cool.
    Garritan Personal Orchestra webpages, there is mp3's to DL so
    you can check how it sounds yourself.
    What is does is play Samples via Midi-track. Samples of Real instruments, no more
    crappy SoundBlaster midisounds...

I have yet to install it, got some PC trouble few days ago and had to reinstall WinXP,
    but im planning to give the Garritan a go.

Ofcource, the Midi files itself are usually somewhat crappy, I have not found a "perfect"
    Midi off the net, i mean, the ones that has every note/instrument right.
    (or maybe its just my ears, he he)

All these apps available atleast on eMule i think.
    And on eShops naturally, for shitload of cash.

Spoiler: Show

4. Music   -   #4
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Just to make sure, here's the download page
    for those mp3's made with Garritan Personal Orchestra. Damn they sound good.
    Just downloaded some new mp3's meself.

5. Music   -   #5
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@11 July 2004 - 02:19
    Just to make sure, here's the download page
    for those mp3's made with Garritan Personal Orchestra. Damn they sound good.
    Just downloaded some new mp3's meself.

holy shit, those sound so real!

6. Music   -   #6
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Originally posted by lee551+12 July 2004 - 08:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lee551 @ 12 July 2004 - 08:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guitar&#045;Slinger@11 July 2004 - 02:19
    Just to make sure, here&#39;s the download page
    for those mp3&#39;s made with Garritan Personal Orchestra. Damn they sound good.
    Just downloaded some new mp3&#39;s meself.&nbsp;

holy shit, those sound so real&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Exactly&#33;

Just ReInstalled teh WinXP (and SX etc...), gotta check that app.