Thread: What Does This Mean On The Overnet Status Bar.

Poster
    Says this exactly.

[On] Users: 1032192 Files: 0 unreachable.

I'm uploading 11 kb/s here and only downloading at 2 (although I've gotten up to 11 kb/s on this download) I'm using the Overnet Loader and I'm also on ADSL via router (cheap ADSL Router pots) could this speed be because of a firewall or might a cheap router not have a firewall?

I have my ADSL connected to my ISP by this router 24/7, but some other ADSL users on the same ISP have some software installed which allows them to dial-up to the ISP when they want, it might just be my imagination but I think they get faster speeds then me... Possibility? They also get alot of worms and viruses coming through the ISP's gateway though, so I guess the router must be firewalled, without port-forwarding, does this mean my speeds will always suck while my uploads go fast?

I'm on 512/256 ADSL.

Thanks for clearing this up, but if you want to be EXTRA nice, please go here and help me with these questions.

https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=115954
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by Vamp@29 June 2004 - 16:19
    [On] Users: 1032192 Files: 0 unreachable.
    that means

[On] = Program is on
    Users: 1032192 = self explanetory
    Files: 0 = you can reach 0 files from other computers
    unreachable = your computer is unreachable

usually these statuses change if you have a little thing called patience and wait like 1-2 min after starting overnet up

I'm uploading 11 kb/s here and only downloading at 2 (although I've gotten up to 11 kb/s on this download) I'm using the Overnet Loader and I'm also on ADSL via router (cheap ADSL Router pots) could this speed be because of a firewall or might a cheap router not have a firewall?
    in order to get decent download speeds you have to share at least 20kbps upload and download only files with at least 30 sources... the more sources the file has the better download speeds you usually receive

as for the firewall issue ... i use a firewall myself and never have any problem with p2p networks just grant the application rights to use the internet in the allowed applications list

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by Vamp@29 June 2004 - 16:19
    ....[On] Users: 1032192 Files: 0 unreachable......I have my ADSL connected to my ISP by this router.....
    You have to open the port (port-forwarding on your router) Overnet uses. You can find the port being used by looking in Overnet network options. Also if you are using a software firewall grant it access to allow both in/out bound traffic (run as server) B)

I also highly recommend using a different port number then overnet default (4662 I believe is the number). Try any number above 20,000.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    to get a decent speed, you have to share 20kb/s. I'm on dial-up, and sharing 5000 files, but the max I can upload is 2kb/s. And my download is at max 1.5 kb/s...Even on dial-up that is painfully slow, especially when your downloading movies and other big files. I'd hate to get rid of emule, because of all the rare stuff you can get, but I can get 5-6 kb/s on k-lite.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Originally posted by justin89@7 July 2004 - 15:54
    to get a decent speed, you have to share 20kb/s. I'm on dial-up, and sharing 5000 files, but the max I can upload is 2kb/s. And my download is at max 1.5 kb/s...Even on dial-up that is painfully slow, especially when your downloading movies and other big files. I'd hate to get rid of emule, because of all the rare stuff you can get, but I can get 5-6 kb/s on k-lite.
    Hello!

As a modem user you are not really wantet on the ed2K network and are considered a pest!(not my words but it is the idea of ed2K due to its design and protocol). Slow none broadband users have a very poor upload/download ratio and usually downloads more then others can upload from them.

Regarding the cut! It is not 20Kbps it is much higher then that. In order to get priority in ques and decent download speeds for yourself you have to have atleast a upload speed of 200kbps dedicated to Overnet traffic in order to fully get the download speeds you can get when downloading. This limit is new in version 0.53 of Overnet. So you might want to try the older 0.52 Lite version that might give you slightly better speeds since you are on a modem connection!

And also you should not share neasrly as many files as you do especially not on your connection!

ed2K is not really built for many small files but its constructed mainly with large 100MB+ files in mind. You should share maybe 10 movies and a maximum of 100 mp3's at one time.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Regarding the cut! It is not 20Kbps it is much higher then that. In order to get priority in ques and decent download speeds for yourself you have to have atleast a upload speed of 200kbps dedicated to Overnet traffic in order to fully get the download speeds you can get when downloading

sorry mate but with my experience with ON,I think thats a bit off BS.
    Just max out your settings, limit upload to 15/20 slots, make sure your open on the firewall, and, in time ....Bang full DL speed NP

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by podgermash@12 July 2004 - 17:28
    Just max out your settings, limit upload to 15/20 slots, make sure your open on the firewall, and, in time ....Bang full DL speed NP
    If you're uploading at 200 kbps (~25 KB/sec total) to 15-20 people at once, that works out to be no faster than 1.67 KB/sec per person -- what the dial-up user above was seeing.

This is what happens when "broadband" gets spread too thin -- and it's one of the reasons why emule is considered so slow.

Very long queues coupled with slow average upload speeds makes it worse.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    ahhh..