Thread: How Safe If Kazaa Lite?

My dad has told me that when i share MY files on kazaa lite, i can get viruses and hackers can access the whole computer even though i'm only sharing my one folder full of mp3s. I'm not gonna not share my files coz i know my downloads are gonna keep getting cancelled...so i need help. Can someone clear this whole thing up for me please? My firewall is enabled and i've got mcafee installed. He's really paranoid about the computer getting hacked so i need to find out how safe it is and show him - or i'm banned from using any file sharing programs

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Originally posted by aligirl@9 July 2004 - 10:11
    My dad has told me that when i share MY files on kazaa lite, i can get viruses and hackers can access the whole computer even though i'm only sharing my one folder full of mp3s....
    Your dad is misinform. You can`t get virus/hacked if you just share files. You would actually have to download them.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    you r so right..you CANT get viruses from sharing..you can only get them from DOWNLOADING

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    if you have a virus scanner like norton or mcafee i know they catch viruses from being downloaded

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    and you dont have to worry about mp3's having viruses in them...only software.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    You can share 10000 mp3s and still not get a virus. Sharing doesnt mean you get viruses, its downloading apps and stuff like that. You could download music (it wont be viruses). And just make sure u have a anti-virus program on your comp, you should be fine.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    thanks guys...all i have to do now is convince my dad!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    You have a better chance of getting hacked or getting a virus just by surfing the fucking internet.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    therickster
    I've been downloading music for about a year now and have never had a problem with a virus when I am downloading audio files. I did try downloading software once and straightaway copped a virus for my efforts.

So just stick to audio and you should be safe.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    A message to the dad from a certified tech.

(lamens terms)

If a pc is connected to the internet, It subject to hackers and viruses.

hackers just need a IP address (your computers connection idenity) to access your system. which is reals easy to obtain.

All pc users are concerned about hackers and viruses, The only thing you can do is have a good antivirus software and a firewall. This will only prevent the hackers and the viruses from accessing your system. NOTHING will stop them completely.(except shutting off your pc)

(viruses can be spread form networks,floppy's or other writable media's as well)

you can refer symantec.com for further information on intrusion an viruses.