Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard Virgin

I've replaced many heatsinks while inside the case, it's not that difficult depending on the size of your case of coarse.
    Just take off the side panel and put the case on it's side, if you have good clean wiring you should have plenty of room to work with if you've got a big enough case.
    but if your using a smaller case, definatly mount the heatsink before you screw in the mobo
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Is it possible to just add my motherboard now and then re-install my OS later is that a bad idea?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by keyser_soze@10 July 2004 - 13:39
    Is it possible to just add my motherboard now and then re-install my OS later is that a bad idea?
    Chances are you might have some driver conflicts....
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@10 July 2004 - 17:29
    I've replaced many heatsinks while inside the case, it's not that difficult depending on the size of your case of coarse.
    Just take off the side panel and put the case on it's side, if you have good clean wiring you should have plenty of room to work with if you've got a big enough case.
    but if your using a smaller case, definatly mount the heatsink before you screw in the mobo
    I used to do Socket7s in situ, but the K7 (and apparently also PIII>) heatsinks sometimes require effort bordering on the brute.

With only 6 or 9 mounting points, I'd not recommend trying it anywhere but a solid flat surface (on top of the packaging 'underlay' too) to eliminate the possibility of cracking that £130 mobo by flexing it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by keyser_soze@10 July 2004 - 17:39
    If you're using WinXP, no. It just won't boot.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Had to swap everything recently, now I can almost, but not quite get into any of my old windows installs (win 98, win2k pro, winxp pro) thing is, my brother swapped his mobo too, and it worked for him, could be 'cuz the chipset on the new one was similar to the old.

He had to start it up from the cd at first, but I think he could repair the install and get it working then.

Of course, some of my probs stem from the fact that all my partitions got damaged when the old mobo broke down.

But it's better to do it over anyway.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by keyser_soze@10 July 2004 - 17:39
    The facts about motherboard and OS upgrade.

Your new motherboard will be fully ACPI compliant. If your old mobo is also fully ACPI compliant then you should be able to upgrade the OS, but you need to make sure you uninstall the old chipset drivers first (you can do this in safe mode).

If your old mobo is NOT fully ACPI compliant then you will not be able to upgrade.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Am I glad to be back I've managed to get the board in and everything going but now my hardware problems turned into a software problem, upto now I've got back on track I can connect and nothing else is installed, my big problem is I can't reinstall xp pro, its not in my add/remove programs list so I could'nt uninstall b4 the mobo change over, I wrongly thought that if I just installed again it would overwrite the existing version and I was gonna format the hd and clean install but when I try to install xp again it says there is already a version of xp on that drive I installed anyway hoping I could uninstall the other but still no show in add remove programs My current situation is I've got 2 versions of xp pro on my c/drive and now a version on my d/drive which Ive installed my broadband modem on and my antivirus just so I could get in here for help, can any1 please tell me how to format both drives and start againg with a clean install.
    s.o.s :helpsmile: please.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    bad idea.

should ahve formatted then reinstalled.

or a repair install.

now you gotta format both partitions.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Boot from cd, don't try to install it from windows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast