Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Bit Concerned

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+10 July 2004 - 06:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK &#064; 10 July 2004 - 06:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@10 July 2004 - 11:25
    Well it&#39;s true.&nbsp; Your computer is broadcasting an ip address and with that a certain species of basement rats may commence in attacking your computer.&nbsp; You have been warned.................twice.
    Not strictly accurate, your computer doesn&#39;t broadcast it&#39;s IP address by default. Install a trojan and it certainly will, though.[/b][/quote]
    So you don&#39;t broadcast your ip or at least an ip of some kind when you post on public discussion boards?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by shn@10 July 2004 - 15:26
    So you don&#39;t broadcast your ip or at least an ip of some kind when you post on public discussion boards?
    No.
    A broadcast is a transmission that is open to anyone and everyone at the time of transmission.
    When you post to a bulletin board, you transmit your IP to the computer that the board is hosted on and no other. What that board does with it (make it available to admins/mods/everyone) is something else entirely.

Think of it this way...
    A broadcast is like a radio show, while posting to a board is like a phone call.

Incidentally, how does a haxor look out for any broadcasting PC? A piece of software that is listening for a certain signal saying <comp_name> is online at 205.195.51.3? They would be inundated 24/7/365.

edit: spelling
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    sorry...this thread just reminded me of this

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by Sparsely@10 July 2004 - 19:24
    [/font]
    LOLOL
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Sparsely@10 July 2004 - 19:24
    sorry...this thread just reminded me of this

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+10 July 2004 - 13:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 10 July 2004 - 13:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@10 July 2004 - 15:26
    No.
    A broadcast is a transmission that is open to anyone and everyone at the time of transmission.
    When you post to a bulletin board, you transmit your IP to the computer that the board is hosted on and no other. What that board does with it (make it available to admins/mods/everyone) is something else entirely.

Think of it this way...
    A broadcast is like a radio show, while posting to a board is like a phone call.

Incidentally, how does a haxor look out for any broadcasting PC? A piece of software that is listening for a certain signal saying <comp_name> is online at 205.195.51.3? They would be inundated 24/7/365.

edit: spelling [/b][/quote]
    I know what a broadcast is. I took you as speaking in a literal sense, meaning you are literally blatantly broadcasting your ip anytime you "transmit" any data.

The broadcast you are speaking of is like wireless routers or dhcp servers broadcasting so other clients can know they exist in order to get on the network or obtain a valid ip of some sort. That was not what I was referring to.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

sparsely
    likes her ^

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by shn@11 July 2004 - 01:45
    The broadcast you are speaking of is like wireless routers or dhcp servers broadcasting so other clients can know they exist in order to get on the network or obtain a valid ip of some sort. That was not what I was referring to.
    I know what you were referring to and when you post to a forum, your computer isn&#39;t broadcasting the information, although the forum may publish your IP and narrowcast it to people permitted to view it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12