Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Rip A Dvd

Hi, I’m not sure if this is in the right section but I thought it was most appropriate here. I have a collection of DVD’s, which I want to rip onto my computer so I can play them while I’m away from home. What do I need to accomplish this program wise? Thx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1. a LOT of free space on a hard drive
    2. dvd decrypter
    3. either rip the dvd in file mode to a folder then doubleclick the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the folder and your dvd program should play the dvd. OR rip the dvd in ISO mode and mount the iso to a virtual drive and play from there.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    If you have the time u can rip and encode a DVD into divx format which saves alot of space on your hard drive. Here's a good guide on it DVDtoDivX

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl2
    dvd dycrptor and then dvd shrink both freeware, you might have to have nero installed, not sure
    but its the best way I know

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    are you ppl on drugs ?

why use dvd decrypter and then have to use another program to burn it

just get dvdshrink as it does both things in the one program ( as long as you ave nero installed )

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I'm ripping DVD to DVD-R for almost 3 years now and I'm ended up using these tools

1.Ripping DVD with cloneDVD2 and AnyDVD
    Although I could use DVDDecrypter,I'm using cloneDVD2 for ripping because it lets me easily remove unwanted subtitle and audio tracks.It also lets me remove unwanted titles
    COMPLETELY.DVDDecypter doesn't have this option and DVDShrink won't remove them COMPLETELY,it will re-encode them as stills.Of cource I'm setting compression at 9999 MB which will DISABLE compression.AnyDVD is needed for removing copy protection.

2.Removing menu buttons with MenuEdit.
    3.Removing menus with IfoEdit.(IfoEdit isn't so difficult as it looks.If you follow a guide on how IfoEdit can remove menus,you will find it easy too).

4.If my DVD doesn't fit in 1 DVD-R and needs compression,then I use DVDRebuilder.If my movie is less than 2 hours or if I'm in a hurry I use 1-pass VBR CCE encoding.If my movie is about 3 hours I always use 2-pass VBR CCE encoding.You will need cinema craft encoder.Also DVDRebuilder supports batch encoding.You can feed it with 3 or 4 DVDs and let it encode them all over the night.

5.Finally I burn with Nero.

You can find all the needed guides at
    http://www.doom9.org

@delphin460:No,I'm not taking drugs!

For DVD to DivX/XviD encoding I find DVX a very good solution.It's an easy software and gives the highest quality possible!
    Go to http://www.planetdvb.net/dvx

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by opsis81@17 June 2004 - 09:44
    I'm ripping DVD to DVD-R for almost 3 years now and I'm ended up using these tools

1.Ripping DVD with cloneDVD2 and AnyDVD
    Although I could use DVDDecrypter,I'm using cloneDVD2 for ripping because it lets me easily remove unwanted subtitle and audio tracks.It also lets me remove unwanted titles
    COMPLETELY.DVDDecypter doesn't have this option and DVDShrink won't remove them COMPLETELY,it will re-encode them as stills.Of cource I'm setting compression at 9999 MB which will DISABLE compression.AnyDVD is needed for removing copy protection.

2.Removing menu buttons with MenuEdit.
    3.Removing menus with IfoEdit.(IfoEdit isn't so difficult as it looks.If you follow a guide on how IfoEdit can remove menus,you will find it easy too).

4.If my DVD doesn't fit in 1 DVD-R and needs compression,then I use DVDRebuilder.If my movie is less than 2 hours or if I'm in a hurry I use 1-pass VBR CCE encoding.If my movie is about 3 hours I always use 2-pass VBR CCE encoding.You will need cinema craft encoder.Also DVDRebuilder supports batch encoding.You can feed it with 3 or 4 DVDs and let it encode them all over the night.

5.Finally I burn with Nero.

You can find all the needed guides at
    http://www.doom9.org

@delphin460:No,I'm not taking drugs!

For DVD to DivX/XviD encoding I find DVX a very good solution.It's an easy software and gives the highest quality possible!
    Go to http://www.planetdvb.net/dvx
    There is the program DVDRipper. I saw.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    @germanyhot20
    If you're looking for one program and don't care if your backups look like crap you could use cloneDVD or DVDShrink only.I'm sorry germanyhot20 but only a combination of programs won't hurt my eyes on my 42" plasma screen!Quality and speed are enemies.You should know that.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ok thx for your help. I read through the guides over at doom9 an think i have done everything correctly. It seemed i had to install a lot of stuff to do it and not all of it i used in what i hope will be my dvd on my pc. Is this correct, i installed the recommened programs from doom9 such as gordian knot which seemed to install heaps of other things. Once agian thx for your help.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by delphin460@17 June 2004 - 07:12
    are you ppl on drugs ?

why use dvd decrypter and then have to use another program to burn it

just get dvdshrink as it does both things in the one program ( as long as you ave nero installed )
    DVD Shrink will both Rip and Burn (and of course Shrink). However:

1) It will not decrypt if the disc has encryption.
    2) It is more or less discontinued. The author has moved on to other things. Of course that doesn't stop me from using it myself... but only for shrinking and burning (which it uses Nero for).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast