Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Politics

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Ok please avoid the fact that it happens to be Bush involved and try to look at the point of large political contributors being able to influence governmental policy.
    i would like to see this kind of thing ended and at least one temptation of corruption be removed.

The White House has again refused to release documents concerning how US energy policy was written, though it is known that Mr Lay was heavily consulted.
    I would like to make it clear that i am NOT suggesting that there is corruption in this case but why won't they release the documents?...after all they work for us.

President Bush's links to Enron were back in the spotlight yesterday following the indictment of former chairman Ken Lay on 11 criminal charges.

The White House found itself on the defensive as it sought to play down the friendship between Mr Bush and his biggest donor.

Ken Lay leaving the Federal Courthouse in Houston
    Mr Bush walked away from a media briefing, refusing to answer questions about Mr Lay, a close adviser dubbed "Kenny Boy" by the president.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said it has been "quite some time" since the pair talked, describing Mr Lay as "a supporter in the past".

Mr Bush started distancing himself from Mr Lay in November 2001 when the company crumbled into bankruptcy in a fraud that still angers Americans.

Scores of letters exchanged by the two men when Mr Bush was governor of Texas suggest a far closer relationship than the White House claims, however.

The letters, which can be found at thesmokinggun.com, an investigative website, range from the formal to the chatty, covering everything from knee surgery to energy legislation.

Some are handwritten, some typed, and more than a few see Mr Lay praising Mr Bush's brilliance before requesting a new law.

"Your focus on opportunity and responsibility was one that I believe resonates around the country as well as in Texas. As one of those opportunities, we hope that you will again actively support efforts to pass a bill restructuring the electric industry," Mr Lay wrote in November 1998.

A note to George and Laura after the 2000 election reads: "Linda and I are so proud of both of you and look forward to seeing both of you in the White House."

Mr Lay spent much of his life working to deregulate the power industry. He was undoubtedly successful, although critics say this deregulation allowed Enron to fix the California electricity market, costing consumers billions of dollars.

"We have already glimpsed this energy future, and it works," he wrote to Mr Bush.

The White House has again refused to release documents concerning how US energy policy was written, though it is known that Mr Lay was heavily consulted.

Mr Lay and his wife gave $139,500 to Mr Bush's political campaigns, part of more than $600,000 that came from Enron overall. Enron employees were Mr Bush's biggest patrons until the company went bust.

The White House argues that the indictment of Mr Lay shows how intolerant the administration is of "dishonesty in the boardroom".

A spokesman for John Kerry, the Democrat who is running for president, said the indictment came "three years too late".

Mr Kerry also had financial ties to Enron, it emerged yesterday. A family trust controlled by his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, bought between $250,000 and $500,000 of Enron shares in 1995, paying thousands of dollars in dividends.

The Kerry campaign received a $1,000 cheque from an Enron executive who was later accused of fraud. His spokesman said: "We received one cheque from an employee that was accused of wrongdoing and we returned the cheque. That speaks volumes."

Mr Lay, after more than two years of silence, launched a spirited defence of his conduct on Thursday, calling for a speedy trial so he can clear his name. His legal team is attempting to separate his case from that of co-defendants Richard Causey and Jeff Skilling
    source

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    what's the differece between talk club and world news &event

I'm just confused
    ban band ban

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Originally posted by elitek@10 July 2004 - 17:38
    what's the differece between talk club and world news &event

I'm just confused
    apart from attendance figures it is the point to the thread.
    If the thread on this story was about Enron and the forthcoming trial it would probably be in world news but it is about influence in politics which although the story has a current connection it is a social issue.

it all depends on the question.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Vid what exactly do you think that we’ll learn from those letters? And if you really wanted to read them go to thesomikinggun website.

As a side note I’d like to add that the President’s energy bill was never pass and is still sitting in congress waiting for Senator Bryd’s (D) approval. It seems that Mr. Bryd doesn’t like some of the terminology used in the bill and won’t sign it. Go figure he’s a democrat.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Hank it doesn't matter if we learn nothing, why are they classified? it's not like they are a matter for national security. If there is nothing to hide why hide them?...unless they show some sort of inappropriate conduct.

My point about this is that we employ these people to run our company "USA. plc" We are the shareholders and we should be allowed to see what is being done in our name

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    This may just be me but I think your nit picking.

Can’t some things just be private?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@10 July 2004 - 21:16
    This may just be me but I think your nit picking.

Can’t some things just be private?
    such as phone calls between a president and his "lover"?....not when it is policy for which we pay the price

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I could care less if Clinton was having an affair. It was the lying about it that pissed me off.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank+10 July 2004 - 22:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigBank_Hank @ 10 July 2004 - 22:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Vid what exactly do you think that we’ll learn from those letters? And if you really wanted to read them go to thesomikinggun website.

As a side note I’d like to add that the President’s energy bill was never pass and is still sitting in congress waiting for Senator Bryd’s (D) approval. It seems that Mr. Bryd doesn’t like some of the terminology used in the bill and won’t sign it. Go figure he’s a democrat. [/b]

Go figure you are a brainwashed idiot.

It&#39;s amazing what&#39;s private when it juuuuuuust might make your party or President look bad.

@vid - Good one

Is sucking dick private Hank?

...or political corruption?

Hank you sound stupid as hell.

<!--QuoteBegin-BigBank Hank

I could care less if Clinton was having an affair. It was the lying about it that pissed me off. [/quote]
    He lied about having an affair.....damn that&#39;s sooooooo far-fetched.

...and what did the dick suck have to do with running the country?

I think political contributions from an energy company have far more reaching implications.

But...you already knew that didn&#39;t you?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Both these parties get Corporate sponsorship, and both then give "Favours" to the sponsors.

Bush, its the Oil & Energy Companies that get the headlines (although they arent the only ones that have received backhanders, just look at pharmacutical companies)

Clinton it was the Automobile Companies thatr can be readily pointed at (1st President since the 70s NOT to increase the mpg targets of Motor Companies... for both terms)

US isnt alone in this, look at the favouritism that New Labour gave to the Formula 1/Tobacco Lobby (and they "just happened" to give a substantial donation..).

The fairest way, in my opinion, is to make all Direct or Indirect Donations illegal... any monies received can then be classed as a "Bribe" (which they are) and dealt with as such.

Make each Candidate/Party have to have a certain number of signatures to qualify for State/Federal funding, and the Campaign has to stay within that Budget.... If they go over, then Auditors should publically go through the campaign to see where the extra money came from and the Candidate barred from office.

Sound Harsh?

Well if he cant budget his campaign over 6-9 month, what right has he to be in charge of the countries Budget over 4 years? He just proved he cant do it.

The Parties will be forced to actually stick to the issues or risk losing all their Campaign Budget in stupid Ads that only tell half truths and are out of context.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast