Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sdram Or Ddr?

I seem to have plenty of my sdram memory spare, but what is so hot about DDR? As i've only 2 slots should I go for the quality, or assume ignorance is bliss?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    DDR is much faster and can handle larger sizes. SDRAM is slowly being phased out.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    There isn't much difference in performance, but it is old technology and being phased out like Jibbler said.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    isn't much of an improvement?
    come-on Supernatural.
    it seems that doubling the data rate (DDR) going in and out of your memory will clearly improve performance. what a no-brainer.
    it's no wonder that more and more "off the shelf" computers(e.g. compaq, dell, hp, etc.) come with DDR ram.
    SDRAM & RDRAM, for consumer use, is going bye bye.

Southpaw, if your mobo gives you the option of SDRAM or DDRRAM(you can't use both), go with DDR RAM. hell it's cheap these days. 256mb for under $50.
    unless you're a serious gamer, graphic artists, or video editor, it will be plenty.

just my 2 cents...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Sure it SEEMS like it, but doubling RAM speed does not make games twice as fast or make programs open twice as fast. There are so many other factors that contribute to overall system performance.. not just RAM speed.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Anyone who has lots of RAM knows. IT HELPS. PROGRAMS AND THE LIKE DO OPEN FASTER AND RUN SMOOTHER.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    halo
    ddr (as against sdram) may not double your computer's speed but certainly there will be a big difference in performance. 256mb would be right for most users who do things a bit beyond word processing and web surfing. 512mb would be some sort of overkill for the previously mentioned market. the added benefits would be marginal relative to the cost. of course if you have lots of money it wouldn't hurt
    caveat emptor: ddr memory won't work with sdram. if your motherboard uses sdram then buy sdram
    thanx

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Blue_Seraphim@21 March 2003 - 09:52
    Anyone who has lots of RAM knows. IT HELPS. PROGRAMS AND THE LIKE DO OPEN FASTER AND RUN SMOOTHER.
    not true programs will not open any faster at all the bottle neck is the hard drive
    sdram may be slower but the hd is slower yet

the place u will see some improvement is after the program loads and ur are prossing info such as doing a spell check in word or rendering and in most games and even then u would not see much diffrence

but i would still recomend u get ddr ram as u will not be able to use sdram in newer comps and will have to buy ddram when u ugrade eventualy so u might as well bye what u can use latter

but u probly got plenty enff ram for any norml use of ur comp unless u do a lot of video encoding or rendering

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by QuietSilence&#33;+21 March 2003 - 10:45--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (QuietSilence&#33; @ 21 March 2003 - 10:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Blue_Seraphim@21 March 2003 - 09:52
    not true programs will not open any faster at all the bottle neck is the hard drive
    sdram may be slower but the hd is slower yet

the place u will see some improvement is after the program loads and ur are prossing info such as doing a spell check in word or rendering and in most games and even then u would not see much diffrence

but i would still recomend u get ddr ram as u will not be able to use sdram in newer comps and will have to buy ddram when u ugrade eventualy so u might as well bye what u can use latter

but u probly got plenty enff ram for any norml use of ur comp unless u do a lot of video encoding or rendering [/b][/quote]
    Well, you are actually proving his point there. The more RAM a system has, the less it has to access the MUCH SLOWER hard drive, therefore increasing system speed. It&#39;s a well known fact that the amount of RAM is probably the biggest performance factor in computers. I&#39;ll take a 1Ghz computer that has 512MB ram over a 2Ghz computer with 256MB ram any day.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. I got 512SDRAM, an a 64mb card.I do a lot of online gaming.I was wondering whether 512 DDR would offer a cheaper increase in perfomance, than getting a 128mb gfx card....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast