Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Video Card Geforce Fx 5200

Poster
    Has anyone had this problem?

As usual, I end up partitioning and reformatting my hard drive as a means of "cleaning house". I do this 3 to 4 times a year. My belief is, if you don't do this once a year, you shouldn't own a computer.

Anyhow, I have all of my drivers for all of my hardware, including my GeForce FX 5200 video card, on a CDROM. This time, I decided to use NVIDIA's newest ALL-In-One drivers for the GeForce series. Ok, it worked, sort of. However, all of my 3D video games are EXTREMELY choppy.

So as a last resort, I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers and used the OEM drivers that came with the GeForce FX 5200. Everything is now perfect. Ultra smooth 3D gaming and 3D rendering.

I am kind of lost. I was hoping that a newer driver would make my GeForce FX 5200 work better. Not that it needs it, but updated drivers are there for a purpose, such as fixing programmer/Driver gliches.

Here's the exact card that I have nVidia GeForce FX 5200

Don't tell me this card sucks. It doesn't. I remember when the geeks were bragging to me how great the VooDoo II video accelerator was. There will always a be a better card, and the one you own now will suck compared to the new one that is released tomorrow.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Whta version were you using?

All the 6x.xx ones i've used (61.11 and i think 61.27 ) have caused the screen to be really messed up in direct3d games, same card as you.

Using the latest released driver (56.72) everything works fine.

What do you mean by choppy?

As usual, I end up partitioning and reformatting my hard drive as a means of "cleaning house". I do this 3 to 4 times a year. My belief is, if you don't do this once a year, you shouldn't own a computer.
    Not nessecarily. A smart computer user, which i was trying to be (lasted about 3 months) will have absolutely no slowdowns or problems\viruses\spyware for a very long time. It is possible.

Stupidly I tried some beta drivers (may be the problem), uninstalled a lot of windows stuff (also may be the problem), and tinkered with a lot of stuff in the registry ot get the system running fast (also may be the problem) and ended up screwing something that wouldn't let my comp start. So I restored a backup I had made 3 months ago and comp now works fine.

If i didn't do those 3 things then at my current rate I could have lasted years on this one installation...although I wouldn't because of the next versions of windows coming out (longhorn soon to be here, SP2 really near, etc.).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 July 2004 - 22:55

What do you mean by choppy?

Uhm. er. ...Chopped up. you know?...

The best way to describe it is: Try playing Unreal Tournament with a 4mB video card. More than every other frame is skipped.

The latest driver? NVIDIA's driver that was available last week. So I guess it was the newest. I deleted that since my OEM driver works better.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    low FPS is what i would say...

umm, try turning off AA and AF see if that helps.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 July 2004 - 23:15
    low FPS is what i would say...

umm, try turning off AA and AF see if that helps.
    The frames per second is not the problem. That was just a way I described it.

Being that I have the correct drivers installed (the OEM drivers). The frame rate is correct.

The problem is that NVIDIA's newest drivers are not working with this particular release of this video card.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Don't really need to do this, just an explanation of what i meant:
    Install FRAPS.
    Run UNREAL Tournament
    Look at the FPS number in the top left\right (where ever u set it to go).
    Now install the latest driver.
    Run UNREAL Tournament
    Look at teh FPS.

It will be lower now, the "choppyness" is becuae teh FPS is too low...bad performance, choppy, whatever u want to call it, it is still related to a bad FPSrate.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by Spindulik@10 July 2004 - 19:43
    Your wrong, if your forced to remormat 3-4 times a year you shouldn't own a computer. I have not reformated in 2 years and my computer is running faster then ever.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Tormentor+10 July 2004 - 23:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tormentor &#064; 10 July 2004 - 23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spindulik@10 July 2004 - 19:43
    As usual, I end up partitioning and reformatting my hard drive as a means of "cleaning house". I do this 3 to 4 times a year. My belief is, if you don&#39;t do this once a year, you shouldn&#39;t own a computer.
    Your wrong, if your forced to remormat 3-4 times a year you shouldn&#39;t own a computer. I have not reformated in 2 years and my computer is running faster then ever. [/b][/quote]
    2 YEARS&#33; And you are not embarrassed to say that? Your hard drive is 2 years old?

You shouldn&#39;t be allowed to own a computer. Maybe you don&#39;t do power computing like I do.

I already sucked up 40GB of hard drive space today, doing some DVD editing with RAW non-compressed AVI files. I beat the hell out of my computer. There is so much crap on my computer, (and I am a pack rat). I have to sort the good and the bad. I have to clean house quarterly. It is a given. Computer hygiene.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by Spindulik+10 July 2004 - 20:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik &#064; 10 July 2004 - 20:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Tormentor@10 July 2004 - 23:43
    <!--QuoteBegin-Spindulik
    @10 July 2004 - 19:43
    As usual, I end up partitioning and reformatting my hard drive as a means of "cleaning house". I do this 3 to 4 times a year. My belief is, if you don&#39;t do this once a year, you shouldn&#39;t own a computer.

Your wrong, if your forced to remormat 3-4 times a year you shouldn&#39;t own a computer. I have not reformated in 2 years and my computer is running faster then ever.
    2 YEARS&#33; And you are not embarrassed to say that? Your hard drive is 2 years old?

You shouldn&#39;t be allowed to own a computer. Maybe you don&#39;t do power computing like I do.

I already sucked up 40GB of hard drive space today, doing some DVD editing with RAW non-compressed AVI files. I beat the hell out of my computer. There is so much crap on my computer, (and I am a pack rat). I have to sort the good and the bad. I have to clean house quarterly. It is a given. Computer hygiene. [/b][/quote]
    So I shouldn&#39;t be aloud to own a computer because I now how to keep my hard drive clean and not stuff it full of crap and adware? You are a fucking moron.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Spindulik+10 July 2004 - 22:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 10 July 2004 - 22:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Tormentor@10 July 2004 - 23:43
    <!--QuoteBegin-Spindulik
    @10 July 2004 - 19:43

Your wrong, if your forced to remormat 3-4 times a year you shouldn&#39;t own a computer. I have not reformated in 2 years and my computer is running faster then ever.

I already sucked up 40GB of hard drive space today, doing some DVD editing with RAW non-compressed AVI files. I beat the hell out of my computer. There is so much crap on my computer, (and I am a pack rat). I have to sort the good and the bad. I have to clean house quarterly. It is a given. Computer hygiene. [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t see what DVDs and AVIs have to do with formatting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast