Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Just getting info right now . Looking to buy in a month or two. Here's the link, canadian.

http://www.slacocomputer.com/systems.shtml

I like the Soleria 7095 or 8095. No preference between AMD or Intel , as I wont be oc'ing .
    The pricing seems close , that surprises me .I will not need monitor or video card. I will use my viewsonic 17ps and ati 9700 pro. I can pick my case and psw from about 10 models. for about $ 80.00 more. I'm looking at middle of the pack, p4 3.2 or amd 64 3200.

I think I can get just the tower and goodies for under $1000. What do you guy's think? I also have the option of dumping the harddrive and using my maxtor's 60gb or 40gb instead. Both are 2mb but the 120gb is a samsung 2mb too. I can use my lg 48speed burner and lg 16 dvd as well. I wiil give my daughter my old system . p4 2.0

So you can see my problem , what to do. Which one

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Build your own, use your old hard drives, old optical drives, Graphics card, etc
    save yourself a lot of money because you won't be paying for useless stuff that you most likely won't use.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@10 July 2004 - 10:47
    Build your own, use your old hard drives, old optical drives, Graphics card, etc
    save yourself a lot of money because you won't be paying for useless stuff that you most likely won't use.
    No time really ! Between new house and working 10 hour days . My girl needs a new computer, I'm not unhappy with mine, but she not getting the new one.

Im more concerned about what you think of the mobo's, the cpu's are both good in my book!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hi Peat,

Is the A64 3200+, a Clawhammer or Newcastle core? You might want to ask them that.

Difference between the 2 cores, is that the Clawhammer has a 1mb of L2 cache, whilst the Newcaslte has 512kb of L2 cache.

Go for the A64 3200+ Clawhammer.

I'd agree with K, though.Built the pc yourself...it'll save you money, and could be, quite a useful experience.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Super Dude@10 July 2004 - 10:59
    Hi Peat,

Is the A64 3200+, a Clawhammer or Newcastle core? You might want to ask them that.

Difference between the 2 cores, is that the Clawhammer has a 1mb of L2 cache, whilst the Newcaslte has 512kb of L2 cache.

Go for the A64 3200+ Clawhammer.

I'd agree with K, though.Built the pc yourself...it'll save you money, and could be, quite a useful experience.
    Thanks Dude for the heads up on the core , Not too interested in building my self anymore . Seems cheaper to buy prebuilt . Have built two from old parts that was an experience .

Edit: With adding and playing with some of my old parts it will still have my stamp on it .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    @superdude , HMM got off the phone with the store ,they say can't garrantiy I'll get the clawhammer with their pkg deal. Some bs about amd not marking their OEM boxes with numbers. But I 'll save $600 .oo sans monitor and vid card. So its about a grand , what I figured . Still seems good? I'll go nuts looking for the clawhammer . I called anouther store, they said you can tell on the box under L2 cache. I smell BS .

Edit: That would be the Soleria 7095 .

For those keeping score -$ 500.00 monitor Samsung 170N 17" LCD Monitor
    -$90.00 video card GeForceFX 5600 128MB AGP8x Video w/ TV Out

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by peat moss@10 July 2004 - 20:44
    @superdude , HMM got off the phone with the store ,they say can't garrantiy  I'll get the clawhammer with their pkg deal.  Some bs about  amd not marking their retail boxes with numbers.   But I 'll save $600 .oo  sans monitor and  vid card.  So its about  a grand  , what I figured .  Still seems good? I'll go nuts looking for the clawhammer .

Edit:  That would be the Soleria 7095 .

For those keeping score -$ 500.00 monitor  Samsung 170N 17" LCD Monitor
                                        -$90.00  video card  GeForceFX 5600 128MB AGP8x Video w/ TV Out
    Peat,

Firstly, in order for us to get a successful discussion, we need to communicate properly.This is like a marriage thing.The key to success in relationships, is communication.It's the key.

Now, enlighten me, please.What does "HMM" and "oo sans" means?

Anyway, a Newcastle chip would have to increase it's speeds by almost 200mhz, to get the same perfomance as the Clawhammer at stock speeds, because of it's L2 cache.Some people preferred the Newcastle core, because it is said to have been a better overclocking chip, however, the guys are still debating about that issue.But I don't see the point in that, and that's not the case here, as you're not overclocking.So you'd want the Clawhammer for your hard-earned money.If SLACO gives you the BS blaming Amd "for not marking their retail boxes with numbers" - then, what are you waiting for Peat? Tell them they could Claw and Hammer their asses goodbye, if you can't get your Clawhammer.

$500 for the 17" Samsung 170N LCD Monitor is a rip off.If you want a high-end LCD, you could get it for about $400-450, max, probably.The models you'd want to look for is the 17" Samsung SyncMaster 710T or 710N - both with 12ms response times, with gamers giving 5 stars and good reviews on them.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    http://vancomputers.homestead.com/index.html
    List of computer websites...
    Around Vancouver B.C.

I prefer Anitec or Atic.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Canada huh where&#39;s this slaco pc?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    @superdude ,I&#39;m already looking around . Hmm I ment , Sans means with out.
    @haha21 thanks Found the claw at antec and atop for just under &#036; 400 .Thats just the cpu Yikes.

@keikan Surrey bc

Thanks people . Gives me something to think about. I&#39;m still wondering about the mobos .

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast