Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restarting Winxp Sp1

@robert its saying it could be a bad ram, bios, driver problem, ahh jeez...if it was that, would'nt I get the BSOD more often?? It's only come up once, (by the way it is still restarting)

the restarting happenned twice recently, while I was trying to install BFV and when I was deep scanning with SS5, both high stress CPU situations.

I really, really hope it's just the PSU.

"If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Won't be the PSU.

Have you tried uninstalling that memory manager app?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I did now, but it won't do anything because ramcleaner does nothing, all I used it for was to see cpu usage, its not on at startup or anything.
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Titus808@12 July 2004 - 22:45
    I did now, but it won't do anything because ramcleaner does nothing, all I used it for was to see cpu usage, its not on at startup or anything.
    Well, it might have a service or something...dunno, just worth a try uninstalling it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I did and 45 seconds ago it restarted again . (sigh)

windows system information is reporting these under the conflicts/sharing tab:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF SIS Processor to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES 

IRQ 11 D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A)
    IRQ 11 Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

IRQ 12 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 12 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ 12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF SIS Processor to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES 

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB SIS Processor to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES
    does this mean anything to anyone? do you see an actual problem there?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Bad memory will not necessarily cause errors all the time because you may not load into the bad area that often, perhaps only when you're running several applcations at once.
    I'd suggest downloading and testing thoroughly with Memtest86 before going further.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I actually ran memtest86 day before yesterday all night, came up empty handed no problems (which sucks because it just brings up more questions)

I found event viewer has logged a DCOM error that seems to coincide with the rebooting
    BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E

apparently that string deals with messenger (which I tought I had disabled) I uninstalled it just now (I think I did anyways, you never know with this crap) and it has not rebooted for a bit...but last night the pc was on for 6 hours without rebooting, so you never know .

I found this huge thread with people that have the same problem as I do, and again it seems to be a PSU problem (I am buying a new setup soon, that will be at the top of my list) I will also buy another stick of ram, a better brand this time, not "generic house brand," but memtest pointed no problems so maybe generic house brand is'nt so bad.

this is the thread: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...ic/11668/?o=40

my case is'nt really overheated, BIOS says CPU is at 54 degrees (sounds about right) and system is at 36 degrees.

if and...probably when it restarts again I will check the events viewer to verify that it is indeed that DCOM problem.

anyways my biggest fear is that when I upgrade the problem will continue, chewie, do you think it's possible that after I upgrade cpu mobo add stick of ram put in 500 watt psu, get new case 4 more fans add a thermaltake silent tower, do you think this crap can still happen? (with a clean install of XP of course)

I've never had a more annoying problem. I also turned hardware acceleration down a notch, just to see what happens...sigh...The only game left on my HD (it crashes when I try to install anything big ) is the HL2 beta, i'm going to try it out now and see if I can stir up another BSOD and get a clue about this shit.

should I upgrade BIOS (I have a ECS elitegroup k7s5a POS installed) and where can I find it?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You can get teh bios at www.ecsusa.com. This is where i got mine from.

I doubt it's still gonna happen after reinstalling all that, probably would stop after just reinstalling windows.

About the messenger thing. I don't think it is related to msn messenger\window messenger. I think it means teh messenger servivce (lot's of spam comes through here.)
    go to services.msc (start>run>type it in>ok) and find messenger on the list then double click set to disable and click stop.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@14 July 2004 - 00:32
    You can get teh bios at www.ecsusa.com. This is where i got mine from.

I doubt it's still gonna happen after reinstalling all that, probably would stop after just reinstalling windows.

About the messenger thing. I don't think it is related to msn messenger\window messenger. I think it means teh messenger servivce (lot's of spam comes through here.)
    go to services.msc (start>run>type it in>ok) and find messenger on the list then double click set to disable and click stop.
    I had messenger disabled from day one ...and it just restarted again, I will reformat again...I guess I have nothing but time so fuck it i'll reformat.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Titus808@14 July 2004 - 00:28
    ...my case is'nt really overheated,  BIOS says CPU is at 54 degrees (sounds about right) and system is at 36 degrees...

...chewie, do you think it's possible that after I upgrade cpu mobo add stick of ram put in 500 watt psu, get new case 4 more fans add a thermaltake silent tower, do you think this crap can still happen?  (with a clean install of XP of course)...

...should I upgrade BIOS (I have a ECS elitegroup k7s5a POS installed) and where can I find it?
    K7S5A? Jesus, I have a couple of bookmarks here because people with that board often have chipset issues and PSU problems.
    First off, at least put a decent heatsink paste under the cjipset or, even better, install 'active' cooling on it.

After that, check HERE and HERE for help.

I would bet that your problems would disappear if you changed that lot, nut I personally wouldn't bother with 4 more fans, just one more exhaust.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast